Wheel color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel color?

I know that the '62 to early '64 wheels are said to be off white or cream, but what was the practice before that? Got a '57 in need of wheels & tires, want the wheels to be painted BEFORE I mount the tires.
    Also, how strict was Studebaker about paint colors? Did they stick real close to the paint charts, or were the colors allowed to 'drift' a bit?
    Thanks!

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan
    '66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50
    '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
    '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

The wheel color '53 to '57 was the major Body Color, not the minor one, on two-tones. '58 off-white, '59-'60 Body Color, '61 Silver.

There are a few exceptions, but most [u]Black</u> '47-'54 maybe to '55's got Maroon Wheels.

For your year range of interest, this more than covers it.

No, the Body and wheel colors did not vary in shade, they stayed close to the formula so that if a batch varied, no one could tell.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

So if I do Coppertone/Black then I should paint the wheels Coppertone. Got it! Thanks!

Charles Eck
      Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan
      '66 Ford F-250
      '66 Ford F-100
      '53 John Deere 50
      '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
      '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

Working...
      X