Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 GT R1 Fuel Feed

Gents,

I have a '64 GT R1 "Super Hawk" that is a bear to start after it sits for a few days. I have noticed that the Fuel Filter Glass Bowl is empty and is refilling as I am cranking the engine. Of course, once it is full the engine fire right up. Is there a check valve that could (or, should) be installed in the fuel line between the fuel pump & the carb to keep the Glass Bowl filled?

Thanks, Harvey [8D]

StudeBakerHarv
    StudeBakerHarv
    * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine)
    * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).

I've noticed the fuel boiling in my filter from the heat off the engine. I would imagine that the vapor from the fuel bowl in collected in the return fuel line.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
    Oakville, Ontario.
    Hamilton Chapter
    See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Only way to beat that these days is to install an electric fuel pump, either main line or auxiliary and let it fill the carb before starting.

Bob Johnstone
      www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
      55 President State Sedan
      70 Avanti (R3)
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Gasoline today is blended for fuel injected cars and will evaporate quickly when sitting. Most any carbureted car will have the same problem today. As already said, about all you can do is add an electric fuel pump.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Consider that the cranking time necessary to get the fuel back up to the carb allows the oil to be pumped up and pressurized before the engine fires. That's a good thing.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Harv
            Is there a check valve that could (or, should) be installed in the fuel line between the fuel pump & the carb to keep the Glass Bowl filled?
            1st, you'd have to explain how the fuel "drains" out of the glass bowl with the fuel level is below the inlet and outlet of the bowl. [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks so much for the help gents. Looks like an Electric Fuel pump is the way to go on this. I have one on my Cathcart 185 Powered '50 Starlight and it works real well.

Regards, Harv [8D]

StudeBakerHarv
              StudeBakerHarv
              * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine)
              * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).

Comment

Working...
              X