Door striker...'63 vs.'64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door striker...'63 vs.'64

I see in SI's catalog, they list the same part no. as working for '56-66 cars. The Body Parts Catalog shows different part nos. for '63 and '64 strikers. (1314902/1314903 for '63, which is in SI's catalog as usable '56-66), and 1351760/1351761 for '64.

SASCO shows all available on their website, although the '64 Body Parts Catalog part nos. are significantly more expensive.

Are they truly interchangeable, and/or is one style better than the other?

Thanks,
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

I have a 64 Hawk, but with 63 Strikers. They all work. The 64's, I believe, were redesigned without the little spring thingy on the striker.

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Back in 73, I went to a wrecking yard in Clovis. New Mexico,as I needed a striker for my 62 hawk. The owner only had a lark on the yard. He told me the strikers weren't the same.

So, I had a look, and removed the one I needed. He charged me $.50.

I went back the next day to get the other one. He charged me $2, telling me that the price was cheap previously, because he didn't think it would work. Now, he knew it would.

========================
      63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
      Martinez, CA

Comment

I think there are actually three strikers that were used in the '63 thru '66 period. The earliest with the springy thingy has a short nose and was used from '56 on. In '63, I think, the redesigned the nose part to make it more durable and it still had the springy thing. Then in mid '64?? they eliminated the springy thing all together and made it one piece and much more rounded. As far as I know they all interchange, but the springy thing when present gives an added safety catch for a partially closed door.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

It would be nice if someone could post pictures of the 3 different types spoken of. Please. Any body got photos? jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

It would be nice if someone could post pictures of the 3 different types spoken of. Please. Any body got photos? jimmijim
            I went out this afternoon and took pictures of the latches and strikers on my two 1964 models. Both are 2-doors. Is it normal that these are painted body color? Anyone want to grab a picture of the other two styles?

The Commander

The Daytona

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yes they should be body color.

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Anyone want to grab a picture of the other two styles?
                Here ya go... I'll let the Parts Gurus tell you EXACTLY what they fit... for fear of offending someone by telling them they can USE a '61 Striker on their '64..

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

There is no difference in the door latch design, they are not being discussed here.

The spring loaded little "flipper" on the outboard end of earlier ones is for the second (safety) catch.

Some have the long spring on the working surface of the striker, in an apparent attempt to "tighten" the door fit.

My own opinion is, the plain, cheap later ones were just a "cost saving", not an "improvement"! In approx. 1959, they were changed for Safety reasons, there should be a Service Bulletin on that.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the photos Tom and Ray. Thanks for your explanation Rich. jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks for the photos Tom and Ray. Thanks for your explanation Rich. jimmijim
                      Agreed! Thanks to both Tom and Ray.

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                      '64 Daytona Hardtop
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                      X