X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mausersmth
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Why can't you take a Brand-X wheel, cut 3 slots in it, and put the hubcap mounting clips in the slots? (Think early 50's Studes).

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Found a few candidates for that. Mopar wheels for the small cap,
    http://wheelvintiques.com/shopsite_s...ml/page54.html
    or Wheel Vintiques Gennies.
    http://wheelvintiques.com/shopsite_s...ml/page13.html
    These use the small '40-'48 Ford cap, our clips would fit outside of that

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan
    '66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50
    '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
    '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Problem with '49 Ford wheels is that they are as old and tired as the old Studebaker wheels. I have some Stude wheels that work well with dog dish wheels. But they flex so much that full wheel covers just eventually "walk off" the rim.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Why can't you take a Brand-X wheel, cut 3 slots in it, and put the hubcap mounting clips in the slots? (Think early 50's Studes).

BTW, there's a '49 Ford that's being stored at my granddad's shop for a local guy. I stuck a Stude dog dish on it, just for kicks... It's still there; fit fine.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Having played with Ramblers for some years, I can state that I have seen 15" wheels from them, but they were AWFULLY narrow[xx(]. Factor that with the fact that they quit using such in any number by the late 50s and you're gonna have quite a hunt on your hands.

I've been looking for dog-dish caps to put on Pete's F*rd wheels. Just yesterday I took several different Stude caps and tried them - no luck. And I couldn't find any aftermarket ones for F*rd wheels of this sort. I even tried Stude full disc covers and they will not fit! Not unless I were to tediously bend all the grip-fingers on each cap.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    quote:Sure, but at that price only for Hawks, Avantis and Speedsters!
    Too pricey for the Lark and Sedan crowd!

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD
    I suppose all the CASO'S could just get brand x wheels that fit and just duct tape their hub caps on![][][]

John Clary
    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

if you could bump the retail any higher than $250.00 a set and still sell any!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    Sure, but at that price only for Hawks, Avantis and Speedsters![:0]
    Too pricey for the Lark and Sedan crowd!

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    9 3/4? Bet I can design an adapter for the Mopar wheels![8D]

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Sure it would sell, probably quite a few, the question is HOW MANY?

At $250.00 a set of five, you only need to sell 40 Sets (200 wheels), to get the $10,000.00 back, only problem is, I don't know how much the wheels cost to make, if that only covers center tooling, how much are the centers, the standard 6 in. Rims with wheel cover stop bumps, and assembly?

Also if you could bump the retail any higher than $250.00 a set and still sell any!

Update: The Hub Cap opening is 9 3/4 in. I can not measure the gross Dia. inside, slightly bigger about 1/8 in. more. I do not have a 10 in. caliper, so that is very rough measurement.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 62SY4

AMC used the same size hubcap, and it has been discussed before, AMC did make 15"x6" steel wheels that a Stude dog dish will fit, yet nobody seems to have any or ever saw one. I did see ONE the guy wanted $25 for it which was fair but what good is just one wheel?

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ
    Just spoke to someone who confirmed the AMC wheels, said Plymouth ran them too for a couple years. Problem is, most AMC and Plymouth offerings at the time were 14 inch rims, not 15!
    He thought he remembered the caps being 9 and a fraction across, smaller then Ford/Chevy but larger then Chrysler/Dodge.

If he's right, couldn't an adapter be made to fit the caps on the Chrysler/Dodge wheels?

Someone, quick! Grab a ruler! How big are our dishes?[]

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    I've toyed with the idea of welding new rims on the old centers, but hearing about stress cracks forming in the centers, there are methods of dealing with that, but it's another can of worms. (Plus, I only got three Stude wheels with my '57 anyway, think I have a Ford and a Mopar wheel in the set! Don't know if the rims match up, I don't think so.)
    I'll have to see what the '64 Cruiser has on it once I get it home. If I have a set of five matching Stude wheels I think I'll have them stripped and checked for cracks. If the centers are healthy and the rims are under 5 inch I'll get new rims welded on. Or I may talk to some people about doing repops in 15x6! Wonder how many firm orders I'd need to get it done?[8D]

Just talked to Wheel Vintiques. Tooling for a new wheel center could be 10 grand or more...
    Would it sell?[:0]

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50

Leave a comment:

• ROADRACELARK
    replied
    Tom,

My major concern is you'd be cutting and welding 46+ year old wheels that have had plenty of stress over those years. The center is probably the most stressed part, and by widening the outer rim, that'd apply even more stress using a wider radial tire that was never intended. There has already been incidents of club members finding fracturing around the bolt circle. Personnaly, I wouldn't recommend that option for safety reasons. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    The rim part of a Studebaker wheel can widened. I'm looking at that option as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bates
    replied
    I asked an AMC parts vendor about the 15in. wheels.He told me they are listed in the parts book but he had never seen a set.You could use the 14in. wheel with Stude hubcaps.

Leave a comment:

• ROADRACELARK
    replied
    If you can locate some 1960 Ford full size car, small hubcaps, they should fit those wheels. They are smooth chrome, come to a point in the center, and have a black painted 1" ring very near the outer edge, with small letters FORD that can be painted over. Mabe someone out there can show a picture. Look very discreet and clean.[8D] Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    I've been looking at the Wheel Vintiques website:
    http://www.wheelvintiques.com/
    Looks like the Ford caps were 10 1/8, as were Chevy's. They have a good selection of caps to fit this sise, as well as the wheels themselves, unpainted, powder coated or chrome. (62 Series, or 64 for chrome)
    Chrysler/Mopar caps appear to be 8 3/4. They only show one cap style on their website, but I'm sure others are out there.
    63 Series is the standard wheel, satin black.
    69 Series is the Chrysler Police wheel.
    Wonder if they would cut slots in one of their other styles to hold the cap mounting clips?
    What size are the Stude caps?

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50

Leave a comment:

Working...
X