Hubcap size/ interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubcap size/ interchange?

I've been thinking alot about wheel choices and how the Stude 'dog dish' won't fit the Ford wheels many people use and it got me wondering...

What was the diameter of the caps?
    Any other companies use that size?

Maybe it's time to repop the five inch HD wheel from '63, maybe offer a six inch version too?

Anyone interested?

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

AMC used the same size hubcap, and it has been discussed before, AMC did make 15"x6" steel wheels that a Stude dog dish will fit, yet nobody seems to have any or ever saw one. I did see ONE the guy wanted $25 for it which was fair but what good is just one wheel?

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Any idea what AMC had those wheels?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Any idea what AMC had those wheels?
        Possibly the Hornet/Eagle Wagon?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm glad you asked this question CE; this very thing has been on my mind for some time.I have Bob Helms' "Ford type" wheels on Sarah and have been wondering the same thing.I sent away for some baby Moons from a mail-order house and they were too small(both sizes they stocked).I would like to get some kind of dog dish/pie pan hubcaps for the car because I am looking for something somewhat sporty looking.Aftermarket ABS wheel covers are out of the question.Don't get me wrong;I like the full size Stude wheelcovers,but they won't look right IMHO with what I plan to do this spring (2 1/2" cowl hood scoop,side trim delete,flat black primer).I was going to go to a junkyard and pop a few 'caps and try them on for size,but my car is getting the trans worked on (finally)and it's about 40 miles up the road.Then, I had a really wierd idea...WHAT IF a hubcap from, say,a '37 Dictator(189718)or a '47-'49 Commander(800263)would happen to fit these wheels?That would be triple schweet, and I wouldn't have to put my brand new tires on different rims!Is this a silly thought?What would be some other options?Let me/us know.Thank you.....

Comment

would a Ford truck dog dish fit? they do have an embossed Ford logo though. I am not sure if any of the Studebaker sticker-type logos (red ball, Pepsi, etc.) would completely cover.

The Mr. Gasket baby moons *do* fit the MoPar cop car wheels... kinda. Had to do a little field mod with some Channellocks to get them to snap on, but they're "about" the right size.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I've been looking at the Wheel Vintiques website:
              http://www.wheelvintiques.com/
              Looks like the Ford caps were 10 1/8, as were Chevy's. They have a good selection of caps to fit this sise, as well as the wheels themselves, unpainted, powder coated or chrome. (62 Series, or 64 for chrome)
              Chrysler/Mopar caps appear to be 8 3/4. They only show one cap style on their website, but I'm sure others are out there.
              63 Series is the standard wheel, satin black.
              69 Series is the Chrysler Police wheel.
              Wonder if they would cut slots in one of their other styles to hold the cap mounting clips?
              What size are the Stude caps?

Charles Eck
              Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
              '66 Ford F-100
              '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

If you can locate some 1960 Ford full size car, small hubcaps, they should fit those wheels. They are smooth chrome, come to a point in the center, and have a black painted 1" ring very near the outer edge, with small letters FORD that can be painted over. Mabe someone out there can show a picture. Look very discreet and clean.[8D] Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I asked an AMC parts vendor about the 15in. wheels.He told me they are listed in the parts book but he had never seen a set.You could use the 14in. wheel with Stude hubcaps.

Comment

The rim part of a Studebaker wheel can widened. I'm looking at that option as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom,

My major concern is you'd be cutting and welding 46+ year old wheels that have had plenty of stress over those years. The center is probably the most stressed part, and by widening the outer rim, that'd apply even more stress using a wider radial tire that was never intended. There has already been incidents of club members finding fracturing around the bolt circle. Personnaly, I wouldn't recommend that option for safety reasons. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan Miller
                      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I've toyed with the idea of welding new rims on the old centers, but hearing about stress cracks forming in the centers, there are methods of dealing with that, but it's another can of worms. (Plus, I only got three Stude wheels with my '57 anyway, think I have a Ford and a Mopar wheel in the set! Don't know if the rims match up, I don't think so.)
                        I'll have to see what the '64 Cruiser has on it once I get it home. If I have a set of five matching Stude wheels I think I'll have them stripped and checked for cracks. If the centers are healthy and the rims are under 5 inch I'll get new rims welded on. Or I may talk to some people about doing repops in 15x6! Wonder how many firm orders I'd need to get it done?[8D]

Just talked to Wheel Vintiques. Tooling for a new wheel center could be 10 grand or more...
                        Would it sell?[:0]

Charles Eck
                        Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
                        '66 Ford F-100
                        '53 John Deere 50

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62SY4

AMC used the same size hubcap, and it has been discussed before, AMC did make 15"x6" steel wheels that a Stude dog dish will fit, yet nobody seems to have any or ever saw one. I did see ONE the guy wanted $25 for it which was fair but what good is just one wheel?

Jon Krimm
                          1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ
                          Just spoke to someone who confirmed the AMC wheels, said Plymouth ran them too for a couple years. Problem is, most AMC and Plymouth offerings at the time were 14 inch rims, not 15!
                          He thought he remembered the caps being 9 and a fraction across, smaller then Ford/Chevy but larger then Chrysler/Dodge.

If he's right, couldn't an adapter be made to fit the caps on the Chrysler/Dodge wheels?

Someone, quick! Grab a ruler! How big are our dishes?[]

Charles Eck
                          Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
                          '66 Ford F-100
                          '53 John Deere 50

Comment

Sure it would sell, probably quite a few, the question is HOW MANY?

At $250.00 a set of five, you only need to sell 40 Sets (200 wheels), to get the $10,000.00 back, only problem is, I don't know how much the wheels cost to make, if that only covers center tooling, how much are the centers, the standard 6 in. Rims with wheel cover stop bumps, and assembly?

Also if you could bump the retail any higher than $250.00 a set and still sell any!

Update: The Hub Cap opening is 9 3/4 in. I can not measure the gross Dia. inside, slightly bigger about 1/8 in. more. I do not have a 10 in. caliper, so that is very rough measurement.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

9 3/4? Bet I can design an adapter for the Mopar wheels![8D]

Charles Eck
                              Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan
                              '66 Ford F-250
                              '66 Ford F-100
                              '53 John Deere 50
                              '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
                              '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

Working...
                              X