Stude Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Cam

Along with the dual point distributor I posted yesterday, I got a V-8 cam and aluminum timing gear. The seller told me that he was told that it was a regrind and somewhat radical. The cam has no markings on it at all and I really don't know what I've got. Is there any way to tell what this cam is without putting it in an engine? Did Studebaker stamp or otherwise mark their cams?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Measure the diameter perpendicular to the lobe. Then from top to bottom, then tell us the difference. That will make it somewhat easier get in the ballpark.

Comment

.366" difference...

Sorry...just dreaming!

Mike

Comment

Shucks, I thought we had a camera mounted on a Studebaker! darn.......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thinking about it they did mark the cams. You should find some numbers If you take a cam and stand it up on the small end you will read something like 534131, with the 534 on top and 131 under. There is a early steel billet cam used on 51-52's till they stopped using the 2 piece distributor. If you go to the Jet City Catalog Pg. 12 you will find the more common numbers and what they were for. The numbers are between the dist. drive gear and the last lobe on the cam.

Comment

This might help:

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

So what ever happened to Jet City, did someone take over the business? The parts?

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

They guy that owned JCS was not making any money for one, two he had some serious family issues and so he just closed it up and to my knowledge has not been heard from since. There is a thread on JCS from about 6 months or so ago if you do a search if you want more information.

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Good info. The number is 1557663 so I guess it is ,or was, an Avanti cam. I was looking in the wrong place. Of course if it was reground the specs could have changed.

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

You have a lift of 16mm, I would have to get out my calculator to convert it over to inches. But the MM's you list are a little broad to come to exact lift.

Comment

I do have a micrometer that I can dig out. Would that be better? What kind of numbers would a stock R1-R2 have? I am hoping that the seller was wrong and the cam is stock.
                      In order to get the intake and 4 barrel that I wanted, I had to buy the dual point distributor, cam, and new aluminum timing gear too. This was in the early to mid 70s. I didn't realize how cheap that $50.00 would seem in 2009.

Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

.425" the specs. are right above in the Jet City info.

Comment

I have checked the cam with my micrometer and the numbers don't come out like what I expected. It took me a bit to realize that the valve lift had to be figured with the rocker ratio, but even then the numbers seem too low. I don't have the pad that I wrote the numbers on with me right now, but has anyone else miked an R2 cam? What raw numbers did you get?

Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

The R 1 and R 2 cam is about 224 @ .050" and has a lobe lift of .2833" and .425" valve lift. It is advertised as 260 duration.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                            PackardV8

Comment

The 1557663 camshaft (R1/R2) should measure 1.34887" from the base circle to the top of the lobe. Base circle radius .53125", Lift at lobe .28637"

R2Andy
                              R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X