Gas tank swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank swap

Anybody know what the difference would be between a tank from a 55 coupe and a 57 HT?

Can the 55 be made to fit in the 57? If anyone has done this- How did you do it?

Anyone want a 57 rusted out gas tank?

Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

The only difference should be the location of the fuel line, directly through the front of the tank or out of the sending unit ('57 type), re-routing a fuel line is easy.

That is assuming they are both from C or K models, as Sedan tanks are completely different.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich,
      Can you plug the fuel outlet in the earlier tank and use the '57 sending unit?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Rich,Can you plug the fuel outlet in the earlier tank and use the '57 sending unit?
        You could do that. But it is fitting thread, not pipe thread so I would think it would be hard to find a suitable plug. Of course a compression nut, a short piece of flared line welded shut will work or a pipe plug and some of that magic JB Weld stuff will seal anything!

What I did is, make a cool fuel return line out of the top one in the sender, and use the tank line for supply.

StudeRich

Comment

Where does the return line go?

Gallivan
          57 Golden Hawk
          Golden, CO
          Gallivan
          57 Golden Hawk
          Golden, CO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gallivan

Where does the return line go?
            Well of course you have to have a R1 or R2 Jet Thrust or Avanti fuel filter with a restricted outlet for fuel recirculating, which is a good thing to have on a Supercharged engine.

But there ARE alternatives, on later cars Studebaker just used a orificed "T" fitting (about .030) at the fuel pump output port to connect the return line back to the tank.

You could also purchase a aftermarket racing Fuel Filter/Press. Regulator with a return port. it goes between the Fuel pump and Carb.

StudeRich

Comment

I hate to be a pest, but what is the purpose for a recirculating line? Is it to prevent vapor lock, or drain back?

Also, if I went with the Avanti fuel filter, can it be installed down by the frame (out of sight)?

Gallivan
              57 Golden Hawk
              Golden, CO
              Gallivan
              57 Golden Hawk
              Golden, CO

Comment

As long as it is between the fuel pump and Carb. it can be as low as you can put it! As I said some '63 models had the restrictor fitting at the fuel pump outlet fitting. Jon & Mike Myer at Myer Studebaker sell the restrictor fitting for Avanti fuel pumps.

This system is the best to prevent vapor lock, but it also provides cool fuel, which like cool air, the Supercharger likes!

This will bleed off the excess pressure to prevent over-pressurizing the needle and seat in the carb. which causes flooding, as well.

The Avanti Engines had a greater need for this, than a Golden Hawk because they use the Carter Super Pump which is higher volume and a bit higher pressure, so at low speed they have tons of extra fuel not being used to return.

I am sorry, I am about burned out saying this twice, I hope it helps.
                StudeRich

Comment

Yes Yes I'll take any/all rusted out Stude tanks you can send me. I'm Gas Tank RENU for the state of AZ and also operate Studebakers Only (see my TW ad). I fix gas tanks regardless of their condition.
                  Thanks contact me thru my website at www.studebakersonly.com
                  Regards
                  Ken Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X