What Is Up with Type A Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Up with Type A Fluid

I am finding Type A transmission fluid at all our local auto parts stores. A chain called Bridge Auto Parts has it in cases like a supermarket display. The little Car Craft stores have it, along with some independants. Interestingly the labeling states that it is compatible with ALL transmission fluids as well as power steering fluid.

None of the bottles have major branding labels, but the stuff is back in production. Any ideas why, especially at this time where all fluids and oils are specialized? Is this an attempt to market to the collector car market?

BG

That's strange...I always understood Type "A" was made from whale oil...quite a politically unpopular way to go, besides the fact that dino oils and synthetics can be refined and blended much better. It could be made from Japanese or Russian sourced oils...they're still whaling. It could also be dino based to those specs just for the niche market of older cars. Maybe someone has better knowledge instead of speculation.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I believe that Type A is either no longer regulated or very loosely regulated. What that means is that most anything can be in the can. It is a way to use up reject batches, etc. and perhaps even recycled fluid. I wouldn't use it. I would use the latest level of Dexron from a major brand.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The RayLube Gallon jugs of Type A that I tried back in the 1970's smelled like burned Tranny fluid, it must have been re-cycled! It also was very thin, poor viscosity. I would not use it, especially if there is no SAE, or Gov't spec on it.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Since Studebaker owners are so fanatical about their cars, why would they not want to use the latest and best products in their cars. I'm not anal about 'original spec' lubricants and have been well pleased with synthetic ATF in my '55 President State Coupe.

Comment

Some of you guys with the early '50 an '51 technical literature, look up what the manuals are suggesting for transmission fluid, and post it. (that's a request not a demand)

John Clary
            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"10W premium type engine oil (or SAE 10-10W premium type oil)"

Modern Dexron is better stuff.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Last fall I purchased a case of Havoline Type "F". This winter I changed the fluid in the Hawk FOM. That new Havoline Type "F" shure looked and smelled like Dexron to me[:0]. It's definitely not like the Type "F" that I am used to. I checked with my local trans shop about this(he is an old timer experienced with FOMs) and he said no problem. I havn't got hardly any drive time yet so far this spring to verify the results so I'll see.

Dean Croft
                Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
                Dean

CLEM

Comment

My '51 land cruiser with 58,000 miles is still shifting. It is certainly no jack rabbit from a standstill. When I first put it back on the road, I was very concerned about the type of trans fluid. Several years ago (when I actually had my turning wheels organized) I researched this topic. I found contradicting articles. I think the consensus was type F overall, and that is what I have used. I think the 10 W oil was used very early on until foaming problems caused the development of dedicated fluids for automatics.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've been running Dexron in my '51 Coupe. It probably weighs less than the Land Cruiser. I'm particularly fond of starting in low and getting a "chirp" when I move the lever to "D". I doubt the accompanying traffic expects this old tank to have that much get up and go.
                    I know that's not a good practice for fuel consumption but, remeber, this car was a NASCAR racer. I do it because this car can do it.
                    I also think it's a good idea to keep the entire valve body exercized.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                    X