Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine cradle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cradle

I am going to build an engine cradle to haul a Stude V-8 with everything on it. Thought I'd check first and see if anyone has pics or suggestions from one they have already built. I'm thinking that 2" with 1/4 wall should be minimum ?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

kdancy, I have built a number of them and use 1 1/2" square X .080" wall tube. The only thing I have found is to use the urethane casters rather then the steel or cast iron ones it is easier to push around. If you would like I could post a pic.

Comment

Alan,
      Yes, please post the pics or e-mail them to me. Just want to make sure I make the mounting points right. Use the front motor mount areas and the rear bellhousing mount surface? What point do you use if bellhousing is either off or on engine?
      64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Since the Studebaker V8 is heavier everywhere than it needs to be, by all means, use 1/4" wall tubing. (.080" or .125" will hold a Stude V8, but then it wouldn't feel right.)

Do you want a stand just for storage, for actually running in an engine, or for working on it? If you are going to use it just for transport, a wooden cradle with a pallet on the bottom is the best and easiest. I take a small, sturdy pallet and use common construction grade 2x4s to make a frame as wide as the pan rails and high enough to have the pan clear the pallet by a couple of inches. Make it long enough to protect the fan, if that is installed. This way, it can be loaded by a fork lift, pallet jack or the engine hoisted up and set down on the pallet in the truck bed. Freight companies won't touch anything with casters or wheels on it for obvious reasons.

If you are building it to work on the engine, I have one which supports the engine at both ends I like much better than the one-legged design sold today.

If you are building it to run in the engine, I just finished a full scale test stand and I can post photos of that.

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

I built a test stand in a hour or so useing a cut down front and rear X member tied togeather with angle iron.

Studebaker On The Net
          http://stude.com
          Studebaker News Group
          http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
          Arnold Md.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Avanti R2/4 speed
          62 Lark 2 door
          62 GT(parts car)
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Since the Studebaker V8 is heavier everywhere than it needs to be, by all means, use 1/4" wall tubing. (.080" or .125" will hold a Stude V8, but then it wouldn't feel right.)

Do you want a stand just for storage, for actually running in an engine, or for working on it? If you are going to use it just for transport, a wooden cradle with a pallet on the bottom is the best and easiest. I take a small, sturdy pallet and use common construction grade 2x4s to make a frame as wide as the pan rails and high enough to have the pan clear the pallet by a couple of inches. Make it long enough to protect the fan, if that is installed. This way, it can be loaded by a fork lift, pallet jack or the engine hoisted up and set down on the pallet in the truck bed. Freight companies won't touch anything with casters or wheels on it for obvious reasons.

If you are building it to work on the engine, I have one which supports the engine at both ends I like much better than the one-legged design sold today.

If you are building it to run in the engine, I just finished a full scale test stand and I can post photos of that.

PackardV8
            Yes PackardV8, please post the photos. This cradle will be used for transport and for storage. I would also like to build a test stand as well --
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

kdancy,
              Here is a site that shows a neat test stand, with dimensional drawings that may be a help.
              http://www.mightymount.com/MMTechInfo.htm
              [img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
              53 Starliner Hardtop
              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

I cut the front section of a Champ truck frame off, just behind the second crossmember. Then I used some channel steel to make legs. Onto the legs, I welded some Harbor Freight casters with pneumatic tires. I"ve used this "fixture" test fire engines and as a handy mount while dialing in bellhousings.
                Of course, you could do the same with a car frame section. Waste not, want not.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here's a photo of a cradle that came to me with the acquisition of an engine awhile back. I didn't design it, but it works right nice. It had casters on the outrigger legs but I took them off so I could use it to haul an engine to StudeKen's place.
                  It's just some 2X4s and some bits of 3/8ths ply. The notch on the one siderail is for the dipstick tube.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here's my two:

Studebaker On The Net
                    Studebaker News Group
                    Arnold Md.
                    64 Daytona HT
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    63 GT Hawk
                    63 Avanti R1/AC
                    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    62 GT(parts car)
                    60 Lark convert
                    60 Hawk
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP,

Don't use a 6 blade fan on that test stand, or the whole unit is likely to start into taxi mode down your driveway in an attempt to get airborne!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.
                      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

A R1 engine will lift a wheel when you rev it.

Studebaker On The Net
                        Studebaker News Group
                        Arnold Md.
                        64 Daytona HT
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                        63 GT Hawk
                        63 Avanti R1/AC
                        63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        62 GT(parts car)
                        60 Lark convert
                        60 Hawk
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

All good info! I will probably build a version of both types (static and test) cradles.
                          64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Nice, John!! I could build the stands, but to get them to tell me what they are like yours........[:0]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Okay,
                              http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...3/c842bdd6.jpg

based on all your info, I built this one yesterday
                              out of 2x 1/4"T square tubing. I left the ends open
                              so that I could insert a radiator panel on one end
                              and a "dash" panel on the other end for engine start
                              up and running. Now I am going to build a couple
                              using 1.5" square tubing for setting an engine on
                              without the bellhousing.

53commander HDTP
                              53 Champion HDTP
                              61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                              64 Champ long bed V8
                              64 GT
                              64 Champ long bed V8

Comment