Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Windshield replacement- sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield replacement- sealant

Looking for advice on sealant for my new windshield.
    The manual says that two sealants are required; I've read elsewhere
    where just one is required. The shop manual
    says to put a silicone sealant in the rubber channel where the glass
    fits and then a bedding compound/sealant between the rubber
    and the metal lip on the body. The latter has been discussed,
    (some saying dum-dum and other recommending 3M 8509 bedding compound/sealant). Any recommendations for the sealant in the
    rubber channel or.. nothing?

Certainly, NOTHING is NOT going to work!
    I do not see how the factory could have recommended Silicone, when it did not exist in 1966! Ask your old car Glass Shop what they use, or have them do the job then the work and the glass is insured. Works for me. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich's advice is good. 3M 8509 should be O.K.
      NO SILICONE!!

KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I used the 3M 8578. It comes in strips and stays in place well as you pull the gasket into place.

Around these parts, if you ask for Dum Dum, you'll either get hit up side the head or they'll hand you the 8578.

Love the edit feature, now no one knows I originally said 8509 [B)]

Bob

Comment

Isn't 8509 in a caulking tube and 8578 in strip form?

Jon Krimm
          1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Do not use any of the new stuff they use on current cars. The sealent needs to stay soft.

Comment

Last time I needed a box of strip-caulk,I went into the AB store and told my buddy Tim: " Hi dum dum,I need a box of Timmy"

Oglesby,Il.
              " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Jon

You are correct 8578 is the strip caulk I used. Darn CRS.

Bob

Comment

quote:StudeRich Posted - 03/19/2009 : 3:39:06 PM
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Certainly, NOTHING is NOT going to work!
                  I do not see how the factory could have recommended Silicone, when it did not exist in 1966! Ask your old car Glass Shop what they use, or have them do the job then the work and the glass is insured. Works for me.
                  Where do you find the "Old Car Glass Shops?" Would've saved me a lot of trouble!

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The factory used strip calk when they installed the W/S and B/G on the line. If you go that route make sure it is nice and soft and that you get the seams good and tight. An alternative would be to use the 3M 8509 Bedding and Glazing Compound. Just be sure to mask everything off well to make your clean up job easier. The 8509 is applied with a caulking gun and also makes a good repair and backfill sealer for strip caulked installations. CRL 1716 Windshield & Repair Sealer is what you want to use to seal between the glass and gasket. You pump it between the the two after the glass has been installed into the opening and it hardens to a flexible seal. It's made by the C.R.Laurence Co.(3M may make an eauivalent) and should be available from a glass shop. DO NOT USE SILICONE! This crap will cause you nothing but grief! It will cause all sorts of corrosion problems and nothing else will stick to it but more silicone. I had almost 25 years in the automotive glass business and silicone was by far the worst offender as far as causing damage. Although, one time there was a genuis who epoxied his W/S in....
                    Oh, and be sure that your pinchweld area is clean, dry and free of rust.
                    R2Andy
                    R2Andrea

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

Where do you find the "Old Car Glass Shops?" Would've saved me a lot of trouble!
                      Simple, you search out the ones that work on older cars! In this area there are four of them! I am sure if you live in a non-rural area like downtown N.Y. City you will only find the ones that know how to work on new Lexus, Mercedes and BMW cars, so it matters WHERE you look!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

ok as the politicians say I misspoke my words; the factory manual does not say silicone (obviously), it just says "sealant".
                        .. and there sure seems to be a lot of opinions on what
                        that should be. I guess I'll go with 3M 8509..or 3M 8578..or dum-dum between the rubber seal and the (metal) windshield opening, and look for a sealant like CRL 1716 to seal the rubber/glass contact area. Tks

Comment

Just follow the instructions in the Shop Manual(lab coats and neck ties optional)and have fun.

R2Andy
                          R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                          X