Generator wont gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator wont gen

Generator was working when I refurbished it. Cleaned it out (CRC cleaner), new brushes, springs and bearing. That's about it. Also painted it.

Now I measure about 1.7v to ground on both terminals. Polorized it and it spins hard in the right direction.

measure about 20 ohms to ground on either terminal. 7 ohms terminal to terminal.

Any suggestions on what to check?

thanks

Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    64 GT Hawk
    Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk

Did you cut the mica insulation out of the grooves of the commutator (the copper the brushes run on)? That must be recessed BELOW the level of the copper "bars"... or the brushes just ride on the insulator.
    I use a trimmed-end of a hacksaw blade (and patience) to clean the grooves out.
    If you need a pic... just ask...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

What Ray said. Also, look and make sure the brush wires are not grounded to anything.

Comment

Checked the commutator groves. I can clearly feel the groves. Not a deep grove, but below the level of the copper.
        Checked resistance in all wires to ground. Nothing grounded that should'nt be.

Runs great as a motor, but 1.8V max as a gen (that is at idle).
        Not a complicated device. I am puzzled.

I did not have the commutator turned. It was working fine before a took it apart [B)]

What is the condenser on the A terminal for? No difference in voltage connected or not. It is the original condenser.

Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        64 GT Hawk
        Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk

Comment

Did you polarize the VOLTAGE REGULATOR?
          When I first read your text, you say you polarized it and it spun.. I didn't quite understand that.

Anyway, take a piece of #16 wire and place it on the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator... then VERY QUICKLY "flash" the other end of the wire across the FIELD terminal. You should get a quick spark. Don't leave it connected- just a real quick flash as fast as you can.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I did flash the voltage regulator.
            when I said it spun, I meant the generator motors (with belt disconnected) in the correct direction when I flash the regulator. That is how the manual says to poloraze the system.

But, the generator does not generator voltage. With the voltage regulator disconnected and the engine running, the generator should put out about 30 volts at around 2000 rpms (sound correct?). I measure around 1 volt to ground.

Maybe I messed up the winding insultation when I took it apart. I have rebuilt dozens and never had one fail (pretty simple procedure). But this one was functioning before I took it apart.

I don't know what else to check.

Dell
            59 Silver Hawk
            64 GT Hawk
            Dell
            59 Silver Hawk
            62 GT Hawk

Comment

Way to go Dell! It takes a "Real Man" to admit "It was working 'till I fixed it!"
              Are you sure the brushes are making good contact?

John Clary
              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

For anyone interested, I replace the voltage regulator and all is fine. I can't see any problem with the old one, but there was one.
                Thanks for all the input.

Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                64 GT Hawk
                Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk

Comment

Were the points in the voltage regulator free, and were they clean? A fingernail file works well at cleaning the points on a voltage regulator.

Comment

I know this is old, but for future readers, a hint:

The field terminal of the generator needs to be grounded for the generator to produce voltage. If you run the generator with the leads disconnected, it will produce just a few volts, as Dell found out.

Probably the current or voltage regulator contact in the voltage regulator was not grounding the field terminal. So replacing the regulator fixed the problem.

Note: Ground the field terminal only briefly to test the generator. This is known as "Full Fielding" the generator and runs it as hard as possible. It will overheat if left this way a while.

Frank DuVal

Frank DuVal
                    Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

And another thing.

As recently discussed on a Corvair forum, you polarize a generator. You do not polarize a voltage regulator. Yes, you do the polarization at the terminals of the voltage regulator, but that is just for convenience, the electrons are polarizing the generator.

Frank DuVal
                      Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

I'll try to clarify conflicting information you have sen on flashing.

Studebakers use generators built like everyone else except Ford. Do not listen to advise from Ford people, as it is wrong for the rest of us and could damage the regulator or generator. Ford products are regulated at the main brush connection to the field coil rather than at the grounded end of the field.

So, for Ford one would flash between the Battery and Field terminals.

On Studebakers, etc, flash between the Battery and Armature terminals.

I hope this helps and doesn't add to the confusion.

Frank DuVal

Soon a 50 Commander
                        Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Not to beat a "not-so-dead" horse, nor offend anyone, I looked up the info using shop manuals from 55 to 64. There are TWO ways to polarize your generator depending on what you have. Studebaker used both Autolite and Delco products.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/polarizing.html

Bob Johnstone
                          www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                          55 President State Sedan
                          70 Avanti (R3)
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                          X