Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Ventilator door re-assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventilator door re-assembly

Hi all,
    I could really use some guidance on getting the vent doors and rods all back together on 52 car. All the pieces are on the workbench, but getting it all installed is sometimes a challenge.

The left (driver) side is relatively easy. But the shop manual says there is a spring to remove. Really? Where does the spring go and what is it like? Does the left side just have 1 insect screen, on the inside mounted to the kick panel...or was there another screen in the fender opening?

On the right side the shop manual does not help at all. I think the mechanism changed. It talks about a cable, but I have the later rod activated arrangement. I have a steel door that mounts to the kick panel. I have a flat insect screen that i think goes in the 2 holes in the fender. The rod I guess goes through a hole in the body above the steel door and mounts to vent door. The rod has a spring on it. This does what...presses up against the inner body panel? Any advice or picturs would be helpful.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

The left (driver) side is relatively easy. But the shop manual says there is a spring to remove. Really? Where does the spring go and what is it like? Does the left side just have 1 insect screen, on the inside mounted to the kick panel...or was there another screen in the fender opening?

No, there is no screen on the left side.. The left side spring runs from the "bend" in your linkage-rod, to a small tab inside the ventilator piece welded to the main body- Here's a Hawk one.

On the right side the shop manual does not help at all. I think the mechanism changed. It talks about a cable, but I have the later rod activated arrangement. I have a steel door that mounts to the kick panel. I have a flat insect screen that i think goes in the 2 holes in the fender.

Yes- that's where the screen goes.

The rod I guess goes through a hole in the body above the steel door and mounts to vent door. The rod has a spring on it. This does what...presses up against the inner body panel? Any advice or pictures would be helpful.

Sorry- I don't have a '52 around here to show, and the '50 is different. But here's a pic from the parts-book

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

quoteoes the left side just have 1 insect screen, on the inside mounted to the kick panel
      YES
      quote:was there another screen in the fender opening?
      NO
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks guys, just what I needed. I asked about a 2nd screen in the left fender, as the fender itself has pads & holes stamped in, just like the right side does. Strange they would do this for no reason, and I don't inagine its the same stamping jsut flipped over. Seems like it would be a mirrored stamping.
        I don't have that left side spring, but I bet I can find it in a box here, now that I know what it looks like.
        On the right side, i have no idea what 2110-30 and 2110-45 are. Just a pad that sits between the spring and the body?

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Michi....

The holes in the left fender is for RHD (export) cars. You can't put a screen there because of the ventilator link-rod being in the way.

I guess you could fabricate a matching set-up for YOUR left ventilator, or find one from a 1952 RHD car... gotta be a million of them in the junkyards...

Ray

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Working...
          X