Stuck engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck engine

I bought a Studebaker with a stuck engine. I removed the head and put oil and kero down the cyl's and it moved a little. The engine was working when it went into storage about 20 years ago. It was said that engine was restored. Should I remove the engine and have it rebuilt or start removing each piston untill I get to the one that is frozen?
    Any Ideas, that I should try first?

1950 Champion business coupe

It would help if we knew what kind of engine, 6, V8, OHV, ???
    What transmission?

If it did move "a little".. and REALLY was working when parked, It's probably just stuck rings. Let the oil soak for a week at least.

Don't try to turn it with the starter (yet).
    Pull the starter and try to get a good look in the bellhousing. there could be a rats nest in there sticking the flywheel/converter. .

I can't post much more without knowing the eng/trans... configuration.
    Search the forum for "stuck engine"...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

It is a 6cyl. Standard 1950

Jeff

1950 Champion business coupe

Comment

Rock it in high gear just enough for three of the pistons to go down about a half an inch. Then Use some 400 sand paper to clean the rust off those three cylinders and oil them. Next; rock it the other way so the other three pistons go down. Sand off that rust and oil. Then bring each piston to the top and blast out the residue alongside the pistons with air or WD40. Don't forget to WD40 the valve stems and check the valve sealing. Install head and continue Studebakering in high fashion.

Comment

I wouldn't use WD40. Try Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster.

Best regards,

Paul
          Best regards,

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X