Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Water Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Jacket

Mine is so rusted, can someone tell me what the back side of the water jacket cover on a 37 President looks like? I'm sure a new backing plate can be welded in but I can't tell where the water flow openings should be other than 2 1/2 circle holes on each end.

I'm here to learn. I've always assumed the water jacket was that portion of the block/head through which coolant flowed. I don't know what a water jacket cover is.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Me too. Got any pictures?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

http://tinylink.com/?E8mjeszaTI

Its a Packard engine, but the same concept. The long plate right under the deck is the water jacket cover plate, its held on by many cap screws. The President would have something similar.

Randy Wakefield
        ----------------------
        1955 President sedan

"For the future that we wait..."

Comment

Here's a photo of the left side of the 250 cu in Commander/President 8 engine. The same basic engine was used 1929-1942, though with some changes. In 1937 and earlier, the water pump was on the side of the engine, driven through the generator shaft. It pumped water into the side of the block.

(picture from Antique Studebaker Review)

From what I have read, blockage and rust were common on these manifolds. I think I remember a recent article about repairing them in The Antique Studebaker Review. I'll have to go look for it.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I hope I never stop learning. It stands to reason, by it's nomenclature, a water jacket would, at some point in time, refer to a separate piece of the assembly.

BY THE WAY, GLENN, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

So, does anyone out there who is restoring, or has restored a '37 President, have advice or photos that could help with Glenn's question?

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Isn't there a distribution tube inside the jacket? These rust away also.

Comment

Hope this helps.
                George Rohrbach

Comment

The picture submitted by George Rohrbach answers my question.
                  Thanks,
                  Glenn Shull

Comment

Yeah, but you have to watch those hot rod Studebaker guys real close![}][]
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 42studebaker

The picture submitted by George Rohrbach answers my question.
                    Thanks,
                    Glenn Shull

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                    X