Front Bumper exchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Bumper exchange?

I am considering replacing the rather bulky front bumper on my 50 Champion with one of the lighter ones from a 1948 parts car that I have. I want to do this so that the front view of the car will not be dominated by the larger bumper. I know that new braces will have to be fabricated. I like the airplane propeller look with the air intake below and would really like to just leave the bumper off altogether.
    My questions include:
    Has anyone seen something similar to this?
    I have been told that there is a place in Indianapolis that does rechroming, but are there other places that do good work in the Louisville, KY or the Evansville, IN area?

The bumper will need some minor straightening, like where someone has hooked onto the bottom of it with a chain hook and bent it down a little in different places.

Do the places that do rechroming expect the bumper to already be straight so all they have to do is chrome it or do they normally have the equipment and expect to do some straightening?

What has it cost others to have bumpers chromed?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Bumper services are used to straightening bumpers. As far as who to recommend in your area I don't know. The only place I ever had a bumper done did excellent work, but they are no longer in business.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Any good chrome shop is accustomed to receiving projects that are in less than straight condition. They just charge extra for the additional work needed.
      Price could range from $200 to $500, depending on the shop and your desire.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
      X