Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools

In reviewing my shop manual, I've noticed that many specialized tools are necessary to perform some maintenance functions on the Studes. Is it safe to assume that these tools are readily available at local auto parts stores? Any insight is appreciated.

Michael

What in particular do you need to do?

Comment

There are only a few tools that make it much easier for you to work on your car... but I don't think there are many that are "required"
      Depending on what you are "comfortable" working on, here's a short list:

1) Brake-Drum puller- available through Stude vendors >$100
      2) Crankshaft hub pusher-set: if you are rebuilding the engine yourself
      3) Tool to remove the chrome rings from dash switches (by application)- make your own
      4) Spreader tools for Inner and Outer control arm bushings- front suspension- MANDATORY, but you can make your own inners, and the outer tool is available (studebakerparts.com).

Pretty much everything else for the home hobbiest can be done with standard off-the-shelf tools.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I may step on a few toes with statement from a shadetree mechanic but.....

I needed the procedures that called for a single, one time use of a dial indicator on removal/reinstallment of a flexplate. I only needed the procedure done once on the Lark(in the now 9 years of daily driving it, with an unknown amount since its single rebuild). It was performed, with engine still in the car, by one of our well reknown shop guys in the club(isn't it a beaut to belong to one of these organizations . For many that operate these motor vehicles, it should be one shot/ one time use/ a single service to need many of the specialized tools(ok maybe two) in the life of a car. In the years of owning the car, with regular maintenance, I think the most important specialized tool I have needed the most, or used regularly was a set of feeler gauges for plugs and valve lash. I also have a remote starter, compression gauge, and some other specialized tools, but that's just because I carry an obscene amount of value with having something weird(grandfathers were tool and die makers, go figure). Yeah you'll need the preceding as well, particularly when it's time to change out some shoes in the drums, which shouldn't be a big deal [}].

LOL, did anybody hear that wood cracking when I stepped out onto that limb?

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

And sometimes this leads to problems for other 'one time' users.
          I have had two episodes where someone needed a specialized tool for that 'one time' job and I volunteered (upon request) to send it to them so they could get their Stude going again.
          Well.......
          Both instances, the tool was not returned.
          In one case it was loaned out to another, then another, and then it was lost track of.
          I have two people that have requested my bellhousing dial indicator setup right now...
          Well.... When it is returned, I will lend it out again....

Years ago there was a 'tool loaner' program set up on the old newsgroup.
          A non-returned wheel puller, and door hinge bolt drill jig later that was shut down.

This is a good thread...
          There is a need for some of these specialized tools (that are not available locally)
          There is also a need for good local Studebaker service outlets that can perform this work for a well deserved fee.
          For those seeking to borrow tools.... Please understand the reluctance of some to lend them out.
          Their experience has caused them to have a cautious attitude.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

I needed the procedures that called for a single, one time use of a dial indicator on removal/reinstallment of a flexplate. I only needed the procedure done once on the Lark(in the now 9 years of daily driving it, with an unknown amount since its single rebuild). It was performed, with engine still in the car, by one of our well reknown shop guys in the club(isn't it a beaut to belong to one of these organizations . For many that operate these motor vehicles, it should be one shot/ one time use/ a single service to need many of the specialized tools(ok maybe two) in the life of a car. In the years of owning the car, with regular maintenance, I think the most important specialized tool I have needed the most, or used regularly was a set of feeler gauges for plugs and valve lash. I also have a remote starter, compression gauge, and some other specialized tools, but that's just because I carry an obscene amount of value with having something weird(grandfathers were tool and die makers, go figure). Yeah you'll need the preceding as well, particularly when it's time to change out some shoes in the drums, which shouldn't be a big deal [}].

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

"A non-returned wheel puller, and door hinge bolt drill jig later that was shut down."

Jeff,

What does a door hinge bolt drill jig look like? And, how does it work??

Comment

I have a complete set of pictures of the 'kit' on my PC.
              I'll upload them when I can get back home to it.
              But....
              It was a drill jig setup made for door hinge captured plates in the door.
              If you got one bolt (screw) out, but snapped off the others, you could use the jig plate to line up, drill out, and re-tap the captive plate holes without tearing the door apart to get the plate out.
              It was all in a neat little 1/4" socket box that was light green mottled paint.
              It had drill bits of each size needed, with the screw in pilot adapter screws, and the correct taps.
              I sure would like to have it back.
              It was a real handy tool.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

"A non-returned wheel puller, and door hinge bolt drill jig later that was shut down."

Jeff,
              What does a door hinge bolt drill jig look like? And, how does it work??
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The only tool I loan out belongs to my cat, and he brings it back every morning.

Comment

My comments are strictly related to the topic... "Special" J-tools in the manuals. Feeler gauges, compression testers, even dial-indicators... are NOT special J-tools. The one's I listed are tools that are NOT available, and you can't "make-do" with any other over-the-counter tool usually found in a home hobbyist's toolbox.
                  You should see some of the "Shadetree" rigs I have come up with for different applications!
                  I have a 4-hole Valve cover with slots in the sides and large access holes in the tops- for setting valves on a running V8.
                  If I get to the shop today I'll take a pic.

Ray

Comment

Wow. Sorry if I started a small brush fire. Not my intent. All I really needed was to know if a pitman arm puller was the same in the shop manual as it is at my local Checker.
                    Having said that, this kind of information is invaluable to all of us rookies. Remember the first time you were stumped by "use the J-90534 tool to remove..."
                    Thanks to all who have contributed and continue to do so. I for one and very grateful

Michael
                    "Betty's" boyfriend

Comment

quote:Originally posted by spqr_67

Wow. Sorry if I started a small brush fire. Not my intent. All I really needed was to know if a pitman arm puller was the same in the shop manual as it is at my local Checker.
                      Yes, it might not look the same, but it can be used... that is if you can get the exhaust manifold out of the way...

I was just commenting abut a few "common" tools the home hobbyist could use, make or try to have access to... when the time comes. In general, there are current tools to replace "most" of the J-tools. There are a few that are special size, shape, or application... but they aren't ones commonly needed.

Ray

Comment

Mike. When you get to a point where you need a tool, put up a pic. of what you are doing and the tool you need and we will tell you where to buy it or how to make one yourself. The question was too generic.

Comment

Thanks for the offer. The string has started my gears working on how it would be possible to resurrect the "tool exchange" that was mentioned. Seems like this would be benficial for all of us who need that one tool for a single use. I realize that someone promising to return the item may not be enough to ensure the return. Perhaps SDC could facilitate an exchange that offers tools for a deposit plus the cost of S&H? Or maybe it could be handled by local chapters and then funnelled up to an individual who would manage this data. Thoughts?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

And sometimes this leads to problems for other 'one time' users.
                            I have had two episodes where someone needed a specialized tool for that 'one time' job and I volunteered (upon request) to send it to them so they could get their Stude going again.
                            Well.......
                            Both instances, the tool was not returned.
                            In one case it was loaned out to another, then another, and then it was lost track of.
                            I have two people that have requested my bellhousing dial indicator setup right now...
                            Well.... When it is returned, I will lend it out again....

Years ago there was a 'tool loaner' program set up on the old newsgroup.
                            A non-returned wheel puller, and door hinge bolt drill jig later that was shut down.

This is a good thread...
                            There is a need for some of these specialized tools (that are not available locally)
                            There is also a need for good local Studebaker service outlets that can perform this work for a well deserved fee.
                            For those seeking to borrow tools.... Please understand the reluctance of some to lend them out.
                            Their experience has caused them to have a cautious attitude.
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                            Yea, I still ticked off about loosing my puller and the door tool, but I learned my lesson.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

There are a few that are special size, shape, or application... but they aren't ones commonly needed.
                              Even the weird ones can be gotten 'round.

When I was mating my trans back up to the block (thanks to the Forum member who loaned me his bellhousing dial-in rig - It wasn't yours, Jeff, and I did return it!) I posted here about the J-tool for centering the torque converter once it was mounted on the block. I was told I could just rotate the crank by hand a couple of times with the TC mounting bolts loose to get it centered, then crank 'em down!

All this to say: there seems to be a workaround for nearly everything. Asking about these things here seems to be a really good way of finding them out

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                              '63 F2/Lark Standard
                              http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                              www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X