Spark Plugs-1964 289 V-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs-1964 289 V-8

I am trying to find out which modern plugs are best for subject engine. It only has about 6000 miles after a complete rebuild.( Also bored .030).I am currently running Champion RH10Cs, which a parts guy recommended in lieu of the H14Y the maint. manual calls for. It appears from the way they look that I need a hotter plug. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

AC-R44S

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I think the R44S is just a H14Y in a GM AC brand.

Most of the Forum posters seem to prefer the NGK, Bosch and Nipondenso equivalents.

You did want BETTER and hotter right? [:0]

I don't have a Problem with my old stock H14Y's, I would not recommend the fake H14Y's they sell now.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I've been using Autolite 437 plugs for years on my 259 and 289 engines and Autolite 85 plugs on my R1 engines. No problems, but Stude Rich's response makes me wonder if there's something better????

Larry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SuperHawk

I've been using Autolite 437 plugs for years on my 259 and 289 engines and Autolite 85 plugs on my R1 engines. No problems, but Stude Rich's response makes me wonder if there's something better????
          I use the 437s on everything, even had them in my '64 R-2 Avanti.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I use CHampion RH-18Ys.

3E38
            4E2
            4E28
            5E13
            7E7
            8E7
            8E12
            8E28

59 Lark
            etc

Comment

The "search" function will provide about fifty previous threads with opinions on spark plugs. Let's don't go there another fifty times, please.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Any Champion plug book for the last 20 years has shown the H14Y replaced by RH18Y. Most stores now will use the stock number 857 instead of the plug number.

[img][img]
                Dwain G.
                AL SORAN RACING

Comment

A few years ago I had a chance to get a truck load of spark plugs and I mean truck load thousands all brands and numbers and would like to get just the ones that Studebaker people use and make them available so any numbers would help, I will try and look up the other threads and see if I can come up with , thanks ....Bob
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Working...
                  X