Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake light troubles

On my '58 Commander...

The brake lights come on by themselves when the car is sitting still, engine off. Sometimes I can bump the car, and they'll go off. Sometimes they'll flash on and off. I've adjusted the master cylinder rod from one end to the other, as well as replaced the brake light pressure switch. Also put a new return spring on the brake pedal. Everything on the brake system is brand new, no rebuilt stuff. Short of disconecting the battery every time I get out of the car, I don't know what to do. It seems as though the master cylinder is holding just enough pressure to make the lights stay on. I can mash the brake pedal, let off, and the lights go off... For about 20 seconds. Then they come back on. Having the headlights on doesn't make any difference. This doesn't happen all the time, just most of the time.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm gettin' desperate.

I'm thinking that the car has chosen its own name. Christine.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

I wonder if the two wires attached to the sending unit are touching somewhere down the line..

Comment

Next time you park, leave the car door open... wait to see if the lights come on. If they DO... reach in and carefully jiggle the turn signal handle without touching the car. Observe the lights. You may have a bad signal switch.

Having said that... I'd still bet you have residual pressure build-up in the lines. You have already checked and adjusted the rod- so I won't question that.

Remove the top of the master cylinder. With a STRONG flashlight- look into the opening. You should see a 1/4" hole- and possibly see a brass/aluminum piston inside it. Just in FRONT of that hole is a much smaller hole- that is the residual-pressure bleed-off hole. Even on NEW master cylinders... they sometimes don't get it cleaned out after final honing. Take a needle and a pair of pliers and clean that hole out. Be careful- as it might urp the pressure out quickly and you'll get a small geyser to the face.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Matthew...
        After doing what Ray suggests...
        Try removing your fuses one at a time to check for a backfeed situation.
        Also try removing bulbs and checking bases.
        Check your grounds.
        Check your constant voltage circuits (horn, etc)
        Also.
        Don't trust that other used switch you put in.
        Try it again with a new switch
        Jeff[8D]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

next time the brake lights stick on, carefully pop the hood and try not to disturb anything. check to make sure the lights are still on. then remove one of the wires from the pressure switch and see if the lights go out. If they do, it's not the turn signal switch. (I kinda doubt it is anyway, otherwise you'd have a light flashing not steady - I ASSume the signals work normally.)

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The last body you put in the trunk may not have been completely done for and is signaling for help.

Just fire a half dozen rounds into the trunk lid -- that should quiet him down.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
            sigpic
            Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Lol Thank you for the laugh!!11

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              1955 President State
              1957 Golden Hawk
              Fresno,Ca
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

Is the wiring new or old? The brake lights come on when they are taken to ground. If your wiring is worn and is making an intermittent ground to either the body or chassis the lights will come on.

Comment

Not sure but,I adjusted the brake pedal freeplay in my 55 Champion according to the shop man.and found it still needed more freeplay,as there was still bound up brakes the first attempt!never noticed at the time if the brake lights stayed on or not.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll let you all know what I find. Ray, I hadn't thought about that MC vent hole, that would make sense to me.

Lark Parker... I would do that, but Mr. Hoffa was removed when I brought the car home. But thanks anyway!

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

No actually they don't, one wire to the stop light switch is always hot and fused, the other goes through the turn signal switch to control Left/Right and then directly to the stop light filaments in the tail light bulbs. If any of those wires GROUND they do not light the lights, they short out and blow the fuse! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Is the wiring new or old? The brake lights come on when they are taken to ground. If your wiring is worn and is making an intermittent ground to either the body or chassis the lights will come on.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yesterday evening the lights starting working just like they should. I left the car at the exhaust shop this morning for tailpipes, and when I left, the lights were off.

The car's official name is Christine.

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                        X