powder coating update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coating update

As some of you know, I am playing with powder coating. I wanted to see how it held up under adverse conditions. The green one pictured below was done a few months ago and left out in the weather ( rain, snow cold, hot). The color has not faded a bit. Thr black one is actually silver vein, and the last one chrome. I am still experimenting with some of the more exotic colors.
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Powder coating is the way to go! I use the old oven out of the house and the parts come out really perfect. It is much more durable than paint, won't chip if you drop the part and th star washers only leave little dents in the finish instead of cutting out the finish.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

How would the powder coating work on my roof rack on my Parkview? The wagon is not for show it's for driving.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

Where do you get the silver color? I bought a powder coating kit from Harbor Freight, but they don't have many good colors.

Comment

Go to www.caswellplating.com. They have the closest thing to chrome that I have used. They are nice folks to work with.

Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

as long as it is under six feet long and some king of metal that will withstand about 400 degrees, I could do it in my oven.
            quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

How would the powder coating work on my roof rack on my Parkview? The wagon is not for show it's for driving.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
            Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Google "powder coat", there are several suppliers out there that have really exotic colors. Columbia coatings is where I buy mine from, they have ceramic as well, water based and requires a 500 degree bake vice the 400 for powder. Columbia is about 2/3 the cost of Eastwood and has any color you can think of.

Comment

Those look really good! I think I should put one on my birthday wish list, along with a set of new floor pans.

Dylan
                '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I was looking at Caswell's "super chrome" at $96 for 5 lbs, but it's polyurethane based. Have you used any powdercoats that were polyurethane based? And I see they have hi-temp powdercoats for up to 1,000 degrees. Have you used any of that on exhaust manifolds?

Comment

Noy sure and no. I'm not sure of the base of the Columbia Coatings powder. The water based ceramic looks just like the stuff on the hi dollar headers, will have to wait for a while to see if it will hold up. I put it on a friends manifolds, car is now blown apart for paint etc.

Comment

Been using Columbia Coatings for several years. Seem to be good people to deal with and they have a large variety of colors.
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I am currently using their Extreme chrome and have had absoutely no problems with it. It flows out very nice and looks great.
                        quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I was looking at Caswell's "super chrome" at $96 for 5 lbs, but it's polyurethane based. Have you used any powdercoats that were polyurethane based? And I see they have hi-temp powdercoats for up to 1,000 degrees. Have you used any of that on exhaust manifolds?
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Working...