4 speed towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed towing

Within the next couple weeks I've got to tow a 64 GT Hawk 4 speed about 600 miles behind my motorhome. I've read that if using a tow dolly, you must disconnect drive shaft on 3 speeds and automatics. But how about a 4 speed? Will it sufficiently lubricate itself or need I do a driveshaft disconnect there too?
    Thanks,
    Larry

There always seems to be disagreement on this subject; so all I can do is offer what I'd do if it was mine: Load it, put it in neutral, and go on your way.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The drive shaft comes off so quickly that I wouldn't take the chance. I'd disconnect it. I think Bob is probably right, but for the 5 minutes it takes to disconnect it, I'd do it.

One theory is that the 3 speeds won't lube properly if not driven through the pilot shaft and that towing them any distance driving them through the rear of the trans will burn them up. The T10 4 speed is just a T85 3 speed with a different gear set and reverse in the tail shaft.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've never had any problem ever with any manual trans., including my 3/OD Lark towed home 650 miles in neutral; same with automatics- IF they have a rear pump.

But as Dick said, they're easy to disconnect. You can leave it in the trans. to avoid leakage; remove the bolts and pry the shaft forward. Wrap duct tape around the loose end to keep the caps in place. Swing the shaft to one side or the other and secure it to the frame or exhaust (not parking brake cables) with bungee cords. Might be worth the peace of mind if you need it.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

It would be ok if you were flat towing but since you are putting it on a tow dolly with the front end up in the air, there is some possibility the gear set will not throw around oil for lube as the oil level at the front of the box will be low and the rear of the box high.
          I would remove the drive shaft from the rear end and tie it up to the frame.

Comment

Be careful prying the driveshaft forward. Be sure there is not some gunk on the yoke. Clean it first, possibly with 600-1000 wet dry using some WD-40 before pushing it into the tail shaft of the trans. If the gunk is built up, you could destroy the rear seal when you do that. Then you would have leaks, too. Although, I still don't believe towing the car would be a problem with the shaft in place. Do what you think best but make sure you don't lose a driveshaft on the way home. A coat hanger is not the best choice for securing a driveshaft.

sals54
            sals54

Comment

I'm not home right now so I can't see the relationship of the fill plug to the mainshaft. I would say disconnect the drive shaft. Normally the countershaft is throwing lubricant all over in normal driving. On a dolly the rear main shaft bearing may be OK but the rollers between the front mainshaft and rear mainshaft would not get enough lubricant. Tough call, I'm not home to determine how it would be.

Claude

Claude Chmielewski
              Studeski
              http://www.studeski.com
              Fillmore, Wisconsin
              47 M-16 Truck
              62 GT Hawk
              63 Lark
              64 Commander Wagonaire
              50 Champion Regal (parts car)
              63 GT Hawk R2
              [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
              sigpic
              Claude Chmielewski
              Studeski
              http://www.studeski.com
              Fillmore, Wisconsin
              47 M-16 Truck
              53 Commander Regal HT
              53 2R5
              60 Lark VIII Convertible
              60 5E7 Champ pickup
              62 5E7 Champ no box
              62 GT Hawk 4 speed