disc brake problem/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc brake problem/advice

I have a 64 daytona with factory discs. Before rebuilding, they seemed to be dragging more than I like. Would turn but not freely. Suspect rebuild needed so I did rebuild them . Went well except one piston had a bent center rod which I tried to straighten with some success. Otherwise satisfied with the rebuild.
    After driving, had some smell and the brakes again dragging more than I like. Point of reference......Wheel would turn using my whole hand but not with one or two fingers. And then stops immediately, no coasting. The next day, they turn more freely.
    Any comments or advice from those with more experience????
    Additionally,,,,,,ALL hoses, and steel lines are NEW along with a new dual master cyl. Everything new.
    Thanks in advance. Greg

greg hellmuth

Check to make sure the MC push rod is adjusted correctly. There should be some play in it.

I don't think a '64 Daytona ever came with disc brakes and a dual MC. I know it's the "safe" thing to do, but when you start swaping in parts that weren't designed for the system it is a whole 'nuther can of worms.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good point, I have heard of that but forgot. I'll check it out. Yes, the MC is upgraded to dual circuit. Thanks, Greg

greg hellmuth

Comment

Greg,

The Studebaker factory disc brakes all had a single master cylinder. What application is your dual master cylinder from? If it is from a '64 Studebaker, it is for drum brakes front and rear. If you use this master cylinder with front discs, the residual pressure check valve for the front circuit must be removed. Otherwise, the brakes will drag.

There are a number of dual circuit master cylinders from later vehicles that will work for your application. However, they must be from a vehicle that has front discs and rear drums.

Jim Bradley
        Lewistown PA
        '78 Avanti II
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X