Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust manifolds...

A newbie question here.
    Since my R-1 is out, I'm thinking of buying new exhause manifolds.
    What color shoud I paint/coat them?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Rust is authentic

I don't believe they were ever painted, but if you are looking for that "show car" look, have them ceramic coated (jet-hot etc.) in a "natural cast iron" finish.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

You can mail order Eastwood Cast Iron Gray Hi-Heat Manifold paint.

Or go to Schucks or other FLAPS, I think I got it at NAPA, and get the VHT 2000 Degree Header Paint in Cast Iron Gray, and they will look like new (before the rust!). It will not last as long as Ceramic Coated, but does last a long time.

This requires curing by baking THREE TIMES in the oven at: 250 for 30 min. cooling 30 Min. then 450 for 30, Cool 30, then 600 for 30, cool 30 for best results. [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Eastwood's spray can [u]stainless steel paint </u> was PERFECT for me. I had a stud that I had to remove after painting the manifolds... had the manifold glowing red. When it cooled down the paint was as good as when I sprayed it on the part.

duane miller

Comment

I've tried Eastwood and the local spray on stuff. The manifolds rusted in no time. I sent the next set off to have ceremic coated. Look great for now.

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Sand blast the manifolds to get all the rust off and the Eastwood "stainless" last for years. Has on my 36 Chevy. You do need to clean them with enamel reducer and bake them to get any oil out prior to painting with the Eastwood stainless. Then bake again with the oven as hi as it will go. When they stop smoking and stinking the house up they are done!

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

Working...
            X