Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Diamond Abrasive

Initially, to assure Studebaker content:

I was sand blasting a set of Studebaker valve covers (Thanks Dick S.) today in my blast cabinet and realized that I needed to replace the sand that seemed to be like fine marbles. Little effect in the siphon system.

To save time, I went to the local TSC store instead of my paint guy only to find out that they had no sand but stocked an abrasive called Black Diamond for $8.00/bag.

Decided to try it. Holy Smoke[:0] does that stuff cut. I can't tell from the bag the composition of the abrasive but it has earned a permanent place in this cabinet.

Had to reduce the pressure to keep from attacking the steel.

Bob

Make darn sure you don't leave any residue in cover to migrate to engine.
    Don't ask me how I know this!
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

They call it Black Beauty around here..it is coal slag. The steel mills need to get rid of the slag, so a company by the name of Reed Mineral grinds it up and makes abrasive blast media out of it...It does cut very well. It can be bought in different grits from ex fine to ex course..I have sand blasted a ton of swimming pools with this stuff..It's great stuff..I blasted my Lark and the Cicero Indiana Stude fire truck with the ex fine...works like a charm!

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

Make sure to buy some extra replacement ceramic tips for your blaster gun....
        You will need them sooner than you think...
        Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Too abrasive for paint removal on sheet metal.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

Different grits...use ex-fine and the job will turn out fine..The ex- fine is similar to old school fine silica..I used to do this for a living...dirty work for sure..

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

You guys talked me into trying some. I'll see how it does on old powder coating.

Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...