61 Lark Radio continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Lark Radio continued

For my 61 lark, originally it did not come with a radio. However, I located an original radio, and can get the speaker. I could use the black knobs and support braces.
    Question: seeing as I do not want put holes in the fender, because a radio did not come with the car originally, does anybody out there have an idea how I can rig a hidden antenna?
    Thanks.

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

You can get one that is a wire you tape to the inside of the windshield.I used one years ago and remember the tape looking like crap after a couple months but it worked well.There is also one available with a more traditional mast that has 2 parts to the base,one goes inside the glass and the other outside.I got mine at a truck stop and at the time they were plentiful in either style.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I've successfully used a hidden, amplified antenna like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-S...spagenameZWDVW

...on two Studebakers.

Worked great!

I stuck the antenna part on the windshield just under the rear view mirror and ran the wires under the interior moulding around the windshield. You'd have to look for it to notice it.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the recommend, I might get one of those for my truck because apparently nobody makes a power antenna for it... (just annoying to have to get out and unscrew the antenna before running it through the car wash)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Here is how I hid a radio and antenna in my 62 Lark.
          I made a bracket out of sheet metal to hold a generic antenna using the grill studs, then I tested it by bouncing the car and it rattled badly so I made another bracket with a grommet to hold the free end steady.

Anti-rattle

I also bent some sheet metal to recess a modern DIN mounted radio and keep my delete plate.

Here it is covered.

After all that, my radio reception is good both AM and FM until I get way out in the 'sticks'. but thats why I have a CD/MP3 player

Jon Krimm
          1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

A loaded '62 Lark huh? It's got the factory OEM optional SW Gauge package and the original type Signal-Stat 4 way flasher! Cool! [^]
            That should get it into the 70's anyway!

Are all of you functions of the radio available on a remote, so you can run with the cover over it?

Someone else mentioned a "DIN" radio, that's not a last Century abbreviation that I know of, so I have no clue! You must be a Techie!

Parts stores and J.C. Whitney used to sell antennas mounted just like that, but you put them under the rocker panels on the side of the frame, I don't think it matters where for good reception though.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, loaded no. Er I bought the ammeter and oil pressure gauge from Tom Karkewiez (sp), the Signal-Stat Flarestat is a NOS 60's vintage add on complete with *chrome* mounting bracket courtesy of my dad's stash. As far as DIN it stands for Deutches Institut fur Normung, its just a standard size/refference for electronics. Yes this radio has a remote but it needs a direct line of sight. I thought about drilling a hole but I usually either have the local classic rock station tuned in or a MP3 CD. I didn't have the money at the time to buy a radio that had a RF remote. I got the idea for the antenna from the cars from the 30's that mounted the antenna under the running board.

Comment

Thanks for that antenna idea! I will be stealing,errrr,using it!!

Comment

at one time they made one that clamped on to the inside of the trunk lid, boy i am getting old! mac

Comment

Working...
                  X