manual transmission additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual transmission additive

Just checking to see if any one has had experience with Moly Slip manual transmission additive. Better shifting? O/D compatible? Cooler running? Less wear?

It's time this spring to change my fluid and just wanting to know if it's good stuff.

Thanks

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
    47 M-5
    Izzer Buggy
    Junior Wagon
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

My opinion: It is highly unlikely that this "snake oil" would do anything good in an Overdrive, you do not want that much "slippage" in the O.D. or the synchromesh unit in the gearbox. Others may vary!

Try to find GL1 80W-90 Gear Oil at your NAPA Auto Parts Store.

Do not use a GL5 or a GL5 that replaces (or includes) GL1, GL4.

A GL4 ONLY rated oil, will work in a pinch, also 40 Wt [u]Non-Detergent</u> Motor Oil is recommended in the Manual.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

My opinion: It is highly unlikely that this "snake oil" would do anything good in an Overdrive, you do not want that much "slippage" in the O.D. or the synchromesh unit in the gearbox. Others may vary!
      A GL4 ONLY rated oil, will work in a pinch, also 40 Wt [u]Non-Detergent</u> Motor Oil is recommended in the Manual.
      What Rich says. Also, 80 [u]mineral</u> oil is recommended and either 40 wt non-detergent or mineral oil are available at our local far, stores.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

What Rich says. Also, 80 [u]mineral</u> oil is recommended and either 40 wt non-detergent or mineral oil are available at our local far, stores.

Also at FBO's (airports) straight 40 and 50 weight mineral oil is generally used to break in newly rebuilt piston engine aircraft engines.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Right-O, Rich. The NAPA Part Number for a one-gallon jug is #65-201. (Ironically, this is the lead-off item in the March 2009 Co-Operator, sent to Ann for composition in early January!) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

MolySlip products use molybdenum disulfide to reduce friction, of course reducing heat and wear. Been around for close to 50 years.

Went to there website www.molyslip.com and learned to my surprise that although it was developed by the Germans during the war, most of its North American distribution seems to be in Canada! The U.S. MUST have something similar.

Whoever created the website did a crappy job, and I think you need Adobe Acrobat to see it all, but, some testimonials are available without it. Especially read the one from FinishLine Racing School in Daytona, Florida. No tranny or engine failures in 7 years!

The stuff is no snake oil and they do make a manual transmission supplement (note that it is a supplement, an additive).The instructions point out that it is not for use in any place that depends on friction to produce motion (like limited slip diffs, automatics, wet clutches).

I'm tempted. The engine oil supplement works and produces about 3% more horsepower and increases gas mileage. See City of Brampton testimonial.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
            47 M-5
            Izzer Buggy
            Junior Wagon
            Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I'm with Mike. Have Redline MTL in my Studes and smooooth shifts only!

Comment

I use MTL-90 in the car below and you can shift it with 2 fingers, hot or cold.

Dan Miller
                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Wich car? The 'vette?[)]

Dylan
                  '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dan, Tom, and Mike: Agreed on the "goodness" of Redline MT-90; its a good product.

However, I spent some time on the Redline website and cannot determine if that product is OK for the overdrive portion of our transmissions. Have any of you guys used it for a complete fill of an overdrive transmission? Results?

Thanks. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

STEWDI, the overdrive transmission does rely on friction to work. The over-running clutch within the overdrive has a number of steel rollers on tapered ramps within a drum. It relies upon slght drag between the rollers and drum to force the rollers to climb the ramps and wedge tightly between the ramps and drum to transmit full torque.

I don't know if moly additive would stop it from working, but it might possibly cause delayed or harsh engagement.

And getting it OUT of there, if it proved to be inappropriate, would be tough.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I guess the right course of action is to not add anything until we find out of if a moly additve or Redline would be detrimental to overdrive operation.

This forum is awsome.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                        47 M-5
                        Izzer Buggy
                        Junior Wagon
                        Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                        X