53 coupe frame ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 coupe frame ideas

The frame on my car is rusty and needs painted. But before I do that I would like to add more supports . Any suggestions

Just did the frame on my 55K. Sandblasting showed the weak spots and using 18 gauge steel mig'd over them in some spots, and in others removed the offending metal with cut off wheels (many) and replaced. Then securely welded every joint and seam that was just riveted and tack welded by the factory. Primer, then frame paint. Looks pretty and it will take a bump. Added lots of metal where the bumper brackets bolt on, too. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Is your car going to be stock? Is it a 6-cylinder or V8?

If a V8....
      Find and purchase a '61 or later Hawk Frame. ALL '61 Hawk frames are V8 Frames. There are some '57-'59 CK Frames that are lighter 6-cylinder frames. That's why I specify '61- on up.
      You will need to add the carrier-bearing support from your old frame (easy) - unless you plan on using a long-tailshaft transmission and 1-piece driveshaft.

The '62-64 GT Frames are the heaviest.. but require (2) brackets removed. Other than that, they work with no other mods.

I cannot express how EASY this swap is...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Here's what I did for more support:

http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/453747682GrpcCM

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

Rebuilt a '64 frame last year. Cut off the engine bottom plate, then had the frame sandblasted. Welded 12 gauge steel plates on the inside where the side walls were thinner. painted inside with POR 15. The welded a new 12 gauge plate on the bottom and welded every 2 inches by drilling through the new metal and welding to old flange.

Fabricated new plates and bolted them on instead of the factory rivets.

Looks great when it was finished. Hope it will hold up.

It was a lot of work, but there was no rust free frame in this part of Canada.

T-cab

Comment

The frame I have has a camaro front clip welded to it (not a good weld job) and planning on putting 400hp on it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by emc53

The frame I have has a camaro front clip welded to it (not a good weld job) and planning on putting 400hp on it.
              OUCH... if they used the ORIGINAL '53 frame.. I hope it was from a V-8. The 6-cylinder frames were even lighter.

I think for safety and longevity- you at least need to replace the entire bottom plates on the frame rails. I like T-Cabs suggestion of those so far...

It might be a bit too much work to swap stuff to another frame.

Ray

Ray

Comment

Clipping a weak frame like a studebaker concentrates all of the bending and flexing stress at the point of the weld because the front section no longer flexes. I would weld plates alongside the studebaker rails probably just 1/8" steel going back about three feet from the junction. One side would probably do it but if you do two don't have them end even; rather have one side go back another foot, to spread out the stress point. I wouldn't bother with the top or bottom unless it's rusted thru.

Comment

How do you tell if it is 6-cylinder frame?

Comment

I found that if you don't remove the bottom plate of the complete frame there will be rust hidden inside the frame that you cannot see nor eliminate and it will continue to do its dastardly deeds after you've finished your refurb.
                    What I do: turn the frame upside down and weld it securely to a 1 inch thick steel table. This will hold it from distorting while the work is being done.
                    Then strip of the bottom plate from one end to the other.
                    What you may find.
                    Bulkhead plates at the forward ends of the rear springs broken completeely out and laying in the frame.
                    Lots of rust areas that were totally hidden.
                    Cracks that are not visible outside the frame.
                    Then, sandblast to white metal and paint the complete frame with a superior quality epoxy primer.
                    Then fabricate new bottom cover plates. Do them in 2-3 foot segments rather than trying to fit a full length piece.
                    Punch 3/8 holes along each edge.
                    Weld them to the flange by doing rosette welds thru the 3/8 inch holes. Weld quickly and cool down each weld to prevent heat soak from burning off the primer too much.
                    Put lots of drain holes in the new bottom plates.
                    Weld all reiveted joints on the frame
                    cut it loos from the table and your done and the frame will be better than it was when it was new from the factory.
                    Regards
                    Ken

Comment

I wrote into the Cooperator about a year ago trying to find out if there was a difference in the 53 Commander and coupe frames. The answer I got was that they were the same thickness. I have talked with several people that believe that they are lighter though. Granted the lark 6cyl frames are lighter also. Ray says that 57 to 59 CK 6 cyl frames are lighter guage. What about 53 to 56 6 cyl frames?

Richard Burks
                      53s
                      57 Transtar
                      63 R2 4 spd
                      Middle Tennessee Show April 4th 2009 in Shelbyville TN
                      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                      sigpic
                      Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                      in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

I was meaning to say 53 Commander and Champion frames on the previous post

Richard Burks
                        53s
                        57 Transtar
                        63 GT R2 4spd
                        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                        sigpic
                        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

The frame thicknesses are in the SHOP manuals, under "General Specifications". I don't remember where I read the thicknesses of the earlier frames, but I recall they got steadily heavier over the years. I know the '53 frame was lighter than the '54...both for 6-cylinders and V-8's. Early in '54 they installed a new cross member to help with frame-twist. I also recall another change around '57 or so...when the switched to a 1-piece drive shaft. But I can't find the documentation on that...

Here are the specs from the '59-'64 Shop Manual... if anyone wants to copy them.
                          Year Body Frame Thickness
                          59S W, F .0747"-14GA
                          59V W, F .0897"-13GA
                          59S-59V D .097"-13GA
                          59S-59V J .1196"-11GA
                          59S-59V Y .1196"-11GA
                          59S-59V C* .0897"-13GA
                          60S W, F .0747"-14GA
                          60V W, F .0897"-13GA
                          60S-60V D,P .0897"-13GA
                          60S-60V J, L .1196"-11GA
                          60S-60V Y .1196"-11GA
                          60V C* .0897"-13GA
                          61S W, F .0747"-14GA
                          61V W, F .0897"-13GA
                          61S-61V D,P .0897"-13GA
                          61S-61V J, L .1196"-11GA
                          61S-61V Y .1196"-11GA
                          61V C* .0897"-13GA
                          62S F .0747"-14GA
                          62S-P, 62V-F P .0897"-13GA
                          62S-62V K, J, Y, .1196"-11GA
                          Taxi-Police .1196"-11GA
                          63S .0747"-14GA
                          63S-P, 63V-P .1196"-11GA
                          63S-63V K,J,Y,L .1196"-11GA
                          Taxi-Police .1196"-11GA
                          63V F .0897"-13GA
                          64S F .0747"-14GA
                          64S-64V P .1196"-11GA
                          64S-64V K,J,Y,L .1196"-11GA
                          Taxi-Police .1196"-11GA
                          64V F .0897"-13GA

Ray

Comment

I had the frame sand blasted and did an ultrasonic thickness test and Dye penetrant test and it was in good shape . The weld joining the Camaro frame needed some worked. I welded 1/8 inch metal to the sides of the frame. I will re-check the frame after the car has a few miles put on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X