Radiator cap for 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator cap for 1950 Champion

I found that I have a defective radiator cap on my radiator and my mechanic wonders if the rated pressure marked on it is correct. I cannot find in any of my Tech manuals and owner's manual the suggested lbs. My worn out one says 4 pounds of pressure! What is the correct spec?

Thanks,
    Jim

James Caspi
    1950 Champion Regal Deluxe-2 dr.
    New York, NY.

I think thats about right for a 50.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    1957 Golden Hawk
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Strictly speaking, the 1950 cooling system is non-pressurized. A 4 Lb. cap would work fine, though. I use a 7 Lb. cap, and haven't had any problems. Adding pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant, which is good, but you CAN overdo it. If you use too high pressure of a cap, (I would guess 10 Lb. would be the limit with a stock radiator) your engine could blow a gasket in the cooling system, blow a tube in the radiator, or worse, blow out your coolant reservoir tank.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Lothar - does the 50 even have a coolant reservoir tank? I seem to recall an overflow tube just going to the ground.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
        '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

No tank. The tube is for allowing boiling overflow to escape. Then you scoop up snow or catch water from a stream to refill the radiator.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

There are my two friends again--Vegas Jack and Bob Glasscock! I gotta meet you two some time.

There is no reservoir tank, just the aquifer somewhere in New England where I might have a boil over!!

Will be installing a new one today, although I don't know what Napa Auto's computer says is 'standard' but will see in a few hours.

Thanks, as always.

If I could get the darn Photobucket working I would show you guys photos of the car with new Coker radials (195-75R15) that drive like a dream. So easy to steer, so much softer than the 12 year old Radials (205's) that were on her before. And they are softer on the road.

Jim

James Caspi
            New York, NY.

Comment

James, make sure the cap is a 1 in. reach cap! Those pre-1956 Radiators have a shoulder in the filler neck that is 1 in. deep, not 3/4 in. like newer necks/caps are. Studebaker vendors have the correct cap, not sure if NAPA still does.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Come on down, James!

I've been planning on attending the meet in Iowa this summer, but about a week my brain had a f**t and I realized that the meet is the same weekend as my family reunion, so I can't get to the meet. Bummer. I sure was excited about that. I think there is a meet in Arizona and that should also be close enough for me to go. Then, we can all meet each other.

Comment

Paul and Bob
                  "Coolant reservoir" was poor terminology on my part. I was referring to the inlet tank at the top of the radiator. It can bulge or crack if pressure gets too high, as can the filler neck. On my car, the world is my overflow, as Studebaker intended it to be.
                  In relation to StudeRich's comment about the depth of the filler neck, I had a radiator shop replace the filler neck on my radiator, because it was cracked. That enabled me to get a modern, more universal cap.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                  Holdrege NE
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

Yes guys,

I did get a long necked cap of 7 lbs from Napa in upstate New York. The catalogue they have shows one model that was about 1" to 1 1/8" long. It took overnight and I installed it and it is working fine now. I see no difference except that it is tight.

This closes this topic.

Jim

James Caspi
                    New York, NY.

Comment

Good deal, Jim.

Comment

Working...
                      X