Positive Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive Ground

Is it possible that my 1950 Studebaker could have the polarity reversed? What would not work, or not do as it should if this were the case?

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

The Positive battery post would be connected to the Solenoid instead of the Cyl. Block Ground. The Ammeter would discharge instead of charge when you bring up the engine speed.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Unless it has been re-polarized by someone, it is positive ground from the factory.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Studerich-

Studerich,

Since the car is currently in many pieces-but it is coming together, I cannot do any testing but before I sold it back in the late 80's the overdrive stopped working, it was barely drivable when I got it back in 07 so I didn't have a chance to try it out. Anyway, if the ploarity were reversed, would it ruin the electrical part of the overdrive, or would it just not work, or would it not make any difference to the overdrive.

Sincerely,
        Jimmie
        Orleans, Indiana
        quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

The Positive battery post would be connected to the Solenoid instead of the Cyl. Block Ground. The Ammeter would discharge instead of charge when you bring up the engine speed.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Should not hurt the electrical components. The over drive solenoid don't care what direction the current flows, the only part that might care is the points and I doubt that. The gas gauge wouldn't even care...we used to make old Britsh cars negative ground because the US part worked well (Atl vs gen, coils, start solenoids, radios etc) and were one third the cost of the British stuff.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

Working...
          X