Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One step forward, two steps back

Gentlemen, and ladies:
    This should be easy stuff, but the turn signal canceller does not work on my 62. It took three weeks to get the steering wheel off, and I had ordered a new cancellator cam from our vendors. It looks kinda like the one that came off, except it has all of the ears. I have a replacement steering wheel that is in much better shape than the orig. I replaced the cancellator cam, and put it all together, and no joy. Took it all back apart, and there is nothing obvious. I looked in the shop manual, and it really does not address this. This should be so simple, but my brain is in retrograde on this one. Any help?

I'll assume you are speaking of the white-plastic type switch and not the metal one...

1. How far are you turning the wheel in either direction to get it to cancel? You have to turn a Stude a good ways (1/4 turn)
    2. Which style cancellor cam is on the back of your (replacement) steering wheel? It "should" be a thick round metal ring with a tab bent on it... to contact the tabs on the plastic switch. If it is a brass sleeve with a notch in it- it's for a later style switch, and will not work with yours.
    3. Is there any gap between the steering wheel and the switch-collar on the post jacket when the wheel is installed? It should be very close- almost touching. If it is too wide, the tab won't hit the cancellor.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Ray,
      You are right, the pin on the new wheel was broken, so I will take the pin off of the old one, and use it.

Thank You

Chuck Dragisic

Comment

My canceller doesn't work on mine either...but I don't mind, most people assume if you drive a car like that, leaving the signal on is required

Actually, my problem is, why take the time to fix something that I can just manually turn off? (my wife says that I'm lazy...maybe she is right[^])

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

I had a similar problem on the Daytona; blinkers wouldn't cancel.I ordered the parts needed (same as what you're talking about).Now,sometimes they cancel,other times they don't.I really don't mind that, but what irks me is that sometimes you can't see if the tell-tale is flashing.Sometimes I have to reach under the dash to feel if the flasher is pulsing!(Yeah, cheezy old wiring;got a better set in the parts cabinet;it's on the "list")Here's the topper- sometimes when I make a sharp left turn followed by a sharp right turn, the right blinker comes on!!Dosen't do this all the time,but just enough to [xx(] me off!!Gotta love it!!

Comment

I had the same problem with a new one. I bought a used one at South Bend last may and it works perfect.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
            Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty65

Here's the topper- sometimes when I make a sharp left turn followed by a sharp right turn, the right blinker comes on!!Dosen't do this all the time,but just enough to [xx(] me off!!Gotta love it!!
              Ditto on that one as well!!

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Tutone, LOL. Keep the left signal on with your high beams shining at 11 a.m. and you'll be in Florida
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

[img][/img]

[img][img]
                  Dwain G.
                  D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty65

Sometimes I have to reach under the dash to feel if the flasher is pulsing
                    Mark,
                    You could buy a "loud" flasher from JC Whitless.[)]
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah rockne,I have entertained that idea.When I go to the 'big box' parts stores, I just get a dumb look when I ask for one.There's a Mom and Pop parts store in my neighborhood that can probably hook me up.Thanks for the re-mind.

Comment

I used a back up beeper on a friends 50 Chevy as he couldn't hear the "click" and there were no indicator lights on the dash.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

It appears someone had been into mine before. There are some little plastic slides inside the turn signal unit, and one of the brass retainers was missing. Made a new one, and luckily, by Dwain's pic, got the snap ring on right, and walla, it all works. They are really not so hard to do, once you take one apart and figure out the physics of the operation. Anyone need to borrow the die to rethread your steering column?

Comment

Working...
                          X