New crankshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New crankshafts

I bought a new late model 259 crankshaft from Wisc. Stude some time back, and I'm now about ready to install it. When I opened the box, however, I found surface corrosion on some of the throws. I used a rag and various soaps to clean it up, then followed that with sanding the throws with crocus cloth, as I remember reading about some 35 or so years ago in one of D. Datson's publications. All went well, except there's an area or two just in front of the rear crank flange, where the brummer seal lip will make contact, that the corrosion has not come off yet. Crocus cloth is not aggressive enough.

So, here's the question: Is it OK for me to use sandpaper, say 400 or 600 grit, on this machined surface to try to continue my attack on this corrosion? I know it'll leave sanding marks. but I am afraid the corrosion spots, that you can actually feel with your fingernail. will cause the brummer seal to leak in short order.

As always, I appreciate your replies.

Thanks,
    Larry

I'd recommend that you take the crank in to your local automotive machine shop, and have them polish it. Then they should be able to advise you on its suitability for use.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

<s>The Brummer seal" is another word for the rope seal in the Stude rear main cap. </s>Light grinding, followed by polishing, would be fine, as the flexible seal has no absolute dimension, but is compressed by the crankshaft. A couple of thou off is no problem. It is disappointing a crankshaft sold to you as NOS requires machining to be useable, but then we are working on Studebakers.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

I think you have been working on too many Model "A"'s Jack!! Lol!

Studebakers at least since the war and probably before, have all had neoprene 2 part lip seals originally made by Brummer. Way better than any ropes!

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

The Brummer seal" is another word for the rope seal in the Stude rear main cap.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Use some fine grit emery paper. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hi, Rich,

[:I] You are right of course. But then, again, I was thinking of the big block Studebaker-Packard V8 - all I have been building this winter is Packard V8s. Hard as it is to believe, Packard built their latest, greatest new V8 with a rope seal front and rear in 1955-56. I've just finished building a couple with the original ropes and converted a couple more to neoprene and had that in mind just now.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

I bought one awhile back for a 259. The counterweights were rough as a cob, looked like they had been cut with a used Chinese cutter bit. The bearing surfaces were fine. I think it is probably a good idea to take them to a machine ship that can go over them, and if I get another I'll do just that.
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

you might be discouraged, however the fact that he purchased a NOS crankshaft is amazing. Try that with any other marque and then compare the prices when you find one.
                I'd also advise that he take it to a maching shop for measuring and polish. Even have them check the straightness.

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

<s>The Brummer seal" is another word for the rope seal in the Stude rear main cap. </s>Light grinding, followed by polishing, would be fine, as the flexible seal has no absolute dimension, but is compressed by the crankshaft. A couple of thou off is no problem. It is disappointing a crankshaft sold to you as NOS requires machining to be useable, but then we are working on Studebakers.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

you might be discouraged, however the fact that he purchased a NOS crankshaft is amazing.
                  Amazing in 2009 43 years after the Co. closed, but not too surpriseing when you see the pile of them SASCO has.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The reason they still have a pile of NOS 259" crankshafts is there is usually no need of one. The usual experience is nine of ten used crankshafts will clean up at a standard undersize. My cost for a re-grind is always less than the cost of the NOS crank plus shipping.

The real CASO has been getting by all these years by finding a another local complete used engine for less than the cost of the NOS crankshaft and shipping.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Now if we could just find a pile of 289 cranks somewhere!

David L
                      David L

Comment

Sitting next to a couple of pallets of R3 heads

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Have em polish the counter weights while there at it . (machine shop)

Comment

Many of those NOS cranks came from Hurwitch Iron and were sold at scrap prices by Studebbaker. Most were fine, some were rejects or partially machined. Back in the old days they had stacks of 289 cranks for $10.00 each.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

I bought a few of those 289 cranks for $10 and heads for $5 back in 1972 while in South Bend. Should have bought many more but being in school didn't have too much money to spend.

David L
                              David L

Comment

Working...
                              X