Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title

I just purchased a 1964 Studebaker Hawk in Michigan. I have not yet had it delivered to me. I purchased it from a man who bought it several years ago from a tow truck operator that removes deserted vehicles on occasions and this car had been left on a property by the previous owner who left it abandond and minus the radiator and other parts of the cooling sytem. I woud like to know if anyone knows how Michigan deals with this sort of thing? I have the last plate number, but it has been exposed long enough that you can't tell what was the last year of registration. The number is 175 - ULT and I have the vin number which starts with 64v 12544 which I don't know where that places the car in line of production as not a lot were made. I have been told about 1,700. Can anyone help me figure out how to proceed? Bill Mitchell

wrm
    wrm

Bill, you'll need to discuss that with the Michigan Secretary of State. I also hope you have a bill of sale because you'll definitely need that. You might also need to do a title search. They'll charge you $7 for each hit you get back. In other words, if they found two previous owners, you'd pay $14. This process will also involve an inspection by local police, sheriff or MSP.

As a side note, as most counter personel don't know crap about titling an old car, you may need to speak to the office manager.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Bill

I think Tom hit it dead on for Michigan but you seem to be in Illinois. Be sure you get a bill of sale and talk to your Sec. of State.

I think if you title it in Michigan, you'll still need to get a title for your state. Why do it twice if it's not necessary?

I'd only resort to the Michigan title if you have difficulty with your state.

It appears from the folks that I know that have done this recently in Michigan, that the process is still reasonable.

JMHO, Bob

Comment

Tow truck operators can get lien titles after a car in on their lot for 30 days. Why didn't that happen? If that car has ever been stolen, the owner would have a right to reclaim it, no matter how much restoration work you have put into it. I would buy a vin plate and title from another car.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I would buy a vin plate and title from another car.
          Which would be illegal and get you jail time. Just do the right thing and you'll be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

If it does come back stolen, you'll sit in jail for a spell anyway. I've seen people completely restore a car and go to jail and receive no compensation for their investment. Sure, they got out on bail and charges were dropped, but the original owner of a 65 mustang convertible got their car back completely restored, worth about four times as it was way back years ago when it was stolen. I wouldn't trust the state to look out for my best interest when they have nothing to lose. Just remember: there's an original title out there for your car with somebody else's name on it.

Comment

You are doing the right thing first.....always make sure you have a valid title in your name before investing any money on restoring a vehicle.

Comment

The only database I know of right now that records all stolen vehicles is U.S. Customs. But I'm sure that in the future, all vin numbers will be in a world wide database and many cars will be returned to their original owners under less than fair and honest procedures. Just because you have a title in your name doesn't protect you from an unscrupulous person holding a title to the same car with an earlier purchase date on it. I've heard of sellers filing for a lost title several times over and selling the car many times over and stealing it back.

Comment

Be careful on the title stuff. Massachusetts is challenging all "quickie" titles from out of state. And somewhat related...Anyone see the Meekum (sp) auction held in Greenwich Conn. last year ?? RMV came in and tried to remove 15 +/- cars from the auction due to VIN plate removal. Finally, the RMV pre-empted the auction and guaranteed that if the new owner's state would not accept the title/VIN plate alteration, said owner would get full refund from auctioneer.

Comment

Ya, you gotta switch vin plates every time you do a front end clip on a car (A-pillar cut), so its really no big deal. And alla those fords with their vin plate on the driver's door; what a joke. My 68 Mustang was like that and so is my 71 Ford truck. Both needed driver's door replacemant. What ya sposta do? Switch titles too? No..you use the legitimate vin plate. The question will always come down to whether or not you were attempting to defraud a legitimate owner. But if you can't make it look original, forget it.

Comment

Working...
                    X