Pressure Plate History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Plate History

My pressure plate says Borg & Beck on it and is type 8A7 and Model 980. Can someone tell me if this would be the original on my 1950 Champion?

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Jimmie, I am pretty sure that is no more than Borg and Beck's number for the steel cover or shell that size, the spring tension and number of springs inside can still vary for each application. Studebaker Parts Catalogs do not use B & B's #'s. It is very likely correct, the originals and most all spring type clutches are Borg & Beck.

If you have a large enough City nearby where there is a Clutch rebuilder, I would take it there and get it rebuilt and then you know what you have. [^]
    Turning it in for an unknown spring pressure factory rebuild or buying a new made in China unit is NOT the best way to get the correct unit.

If you have a worn out or slipping clutch, you get the flywheel turned, replace the Clutch Disk, Pressure Plate and throughout Bearing and be done with it, for 70-100,000 miles! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

i cant agree more with Rich on buying clutch parts made in China. A few years ago I bought a complete clutch assy from the local NAPA store & installed it, taking it for granted it was quality parts. Within a few weeks on driving home from work, I barely made it to my driveway & upon inspection, found the throwout bearing had disintergrated. Yep, made it China. Thats when I got smart & replaced everything again this time with Centerforce parts made in USA. Even after a few years with some spirited driving, no problems at all now!

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
      X