new windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new windshield

Who actually makes the new re-pro windshields for Studes? I remember someone telling me that a company in Australia made the best quality ones. ??
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

I don't think it is a matter of who or where, anymore as there is only one or two Manufacturers of old car obsolete glass left. You can buy it anywhere, but I think it all comes from one or two places, and it USED to be Argentina.

So I get it from a Studebaker Vendor -Champ Glass in Idaho, and let Russ worry about that! [^]

The service and quality is as good as it gets, they come in a bullet-proof crate.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

but I think it all comes from one or two places, and it USED to be Argentina.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      ACTUALLY, it was Peru. (And still is.) AGP used to stand for Auto Glass Peru. Now it stands for American Glass Products.[:0] South Africa used to be the other main source. Now I'm sure China is it. They'll make anything! And short runs, small quantities.

If you really want to know where ANY auto glass is made, modern or old, just get me the DOT number off of it. It is included on any piece legally sold in the USA. Regardless of what the glass is trademarked, the DOT will tell what plant actually manufactured the glass anywhere in the world.

KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

If you really want to know where ANY auto glass is made, modern or old, just get me the DOT number off of it. It is included on any piece legally sold in the USA. Regardless of what the glass is trademarked, the DOT will tell what plant actually manufactured the glass anywhere in the world.
        OK, I have one here that came a week ago that says: DOT-686 ASI.

Remember I am not the one who wanted to know! I gave up caring a long time ago when this stuff ceased to be made in the good 'ol USA!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I bought a rear window for a 55K donated to a charity auction on eBay. Getting it from Tennessee to Ontario would have been near impossible had the charity not gone the extra mile (I believe they were Menonite). They had a casket maker build a pine box strong enough to withstand the trip. It arrived intact and the pine box is so beautiful, I'm using it as furniture (LOL). Even people who drive buggies love Studes
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Need some specialty glass.

Contact Ira Turner of

Glass Seekers Syosset, NY
            1-800-345-4527
            IF WE CAN’T LOCATE THE WINDOW YOU WANT – IT’S JUST NOT AVAILABLE, ANYWHERE! CALL US TOLL FREE 1.800.345.4527 0R FAX US 516.921.0283 Finding the right auto glass and windshields for older cars, trucks, RV’s and other vehicles can be very challenging. Glass Seekers can locate the hard to find the automotive glass you need …

The glass for my 61 Lark, came CLEAR with out the greenish tint that most vendors glass comes with (if that matters to you) Glass manufactured in China, shipped to Calif and then distributed all over.

Guy impressed me so much, I mentioned Lark, and he rattled off a number for the 59-60 model, I said no...61...pause....that one....found the number and rest is history.
            Had it in a week, your results may vary.

Price to expect.....depends, 445.00 (Lark glass) which included shipping.
            So be sure to ask, maybe theres a distribution site close.

Phillips Classic Auto Glass--I've bought two pieces from them, about 325-350 each (year 1/2 ago) for greenish tint Lark glass. I met them in person. Not sure on shipping

ChopStu
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Hi,
              The glass I sell has DOT 568 on all of it. Where is it made? Is there a DOT glass sheet somewhere that lists all these numbers?
              I sent about 40 pieces of original glass to be reproduced by my supplier. I have some more samples needed as well.
              Thanks,
              Chuck Collins
              StudebakerParts.com a company specializing in Studebaker parts for post war Studebakers and Studebaker related items

Comment

OK, I should have looked before I leaped. I haven't used this source for years, but this is what I came up with:

OK, I have one here that came a week ago that says: DOT-686 ASI.

DOT-686 is manufactured by Yuang Chang Glass Co., Ltd.

The glass I sell has DOT 568 on all of it. Where is it made?

DOT-568 is manufactured by Lung Ta Glass Industrial Co. Ltd.

They used to include the city and country, but I can guess by the names of these companies.

KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

This will help,

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                  X