Supercharger question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger question

On my supercharger, right at the bottom of the outlet where the air hose runs from the supercharger to the carb box, there is a small brass tube. Looks like it may be for a vacuum line or something. What is it for, and where is it supposed to connect to?

Hi, jeryst,

What car are we talking about here? Always helps to begin with that.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

It's usually used for the fuel pump boost referance. It connects to the back side of the fuel pump diaphragm, and makes the fuel pressure increase with boost.
      Mike M.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Hi, jeryst,

What car are we talking about here? Always helps to begin with that.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        Oops, sorry. 57 Golden Hawk 289.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike

It's usually used for the fuel pump boost referance. It connects to the back side of the fuel pump diaphragm, and makes the fuel pressure increase with boost.
          Mike M.
          Is there supposed to be a similar tube on the fuel pump?

Comment

There should be a third tube on the opposite side of the diagphragm on the fuel pump which the reference line connects to.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

There is a small drain tube on the bottom of the enclosure near the center of the air box on passenger side of which goes down front of engine which is a drain I think if carb would flood

Comment

Jerry, here is a link to a post that about half way down the page, has a Richard Quinn Collection factory photo of the correct Carter Fuel pump with the reference line coming out of the top of the upper half of the pump casting.

The colors are all way off with too much red, but if you look closely you will see the smaller line going up to the Supercharger. [^]

Without this line, as soon as the air box and Carb. pressure exceeds the fuel pump pressure, the fuel flows back to the pump and the engine starves.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...s=engine+color
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Jerry, here is a link to a post that about half way down the page, has a Richard Quinn Collection factory photo of the correct Carter Fuel pump with the reference line coming out of the top of the upper half of the pump casting.

The colors are all way off with too much red, but if you look closely you will see the smaller line going up to the Supercharger. [^]

Without this line, as soon as the air box and Carb. pressure exceeds the fuel pump pressure, the fuel flows back to the pump and the engine starves.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...s=engine+color
                  Thank you for the information. One of my next questions was going to be "What's the extra hole in my fuel pump for?". This pretty much explains the whole deal.

The tube on my supercharger was cut off and is only about an inch long. Can this whole tube be purchased, or will I have to try and fabricate something?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

The tube on my supercharger was cut off and is only about an inch long. Can this whole tube be purchased, or will I have to try and fabricate something?
                    Jon and Mike Meyer at Meyer's Studebaker in Ohio make lines for R2 Avantis, I would think they could help.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There's just a short hose barb on the supercharger. A couple of inches of hose connect it to the hard line to the pump. Golden Hawks used 3/16" tubing, (Avanti R2 & R3 used 1/4"). Since you only need a flare and nut on the end at the pump, you could buy a slightly longer section of brake line, and cut it from that. Do you have the fitting at the fuel pump?
                      Mike M.

Comment

The car is at a garage, and I noticed that he has a bunch of fittings there, so he should have one that will work.

I noticed that the small section on the supercharger swivels. Is it supposed to do that, or is there a way to tighten it?

Comment

If the hose barb is loose, try "Lock Tite" or epoxy. It just presses into the housing. They didn't use clamps on the hose.
                          Mike M.

Comment

Working...
                          X