Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

CASO has a gasket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASO has a gasket question

So the old shelf stale NORS gaskets that I bought on ebay 5-6 years ago for the Black Bart Special have sort of shrunk through the years. The timing cover gaskets which are thick paper gaskets, have shrunk to the point that the bolt holes won't line up, but otherwise, they are perfect.

Now anyone else would just go ahead a buy fresh gaskets, but being a CASO, is there anyway to soften these up and stretch 'em back out? I thought water would likely do it, but putting a wet gasket in a fresh engine seems like a bad idea, and I don't know if oil would work. How about steam?

Or do I just need a swift kick in the butt, and just go buy new gaskets?

Ron

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Ok I've soaked many old gaskets in hot water and installed them with no problems. That being said, My OHV 6 that I put together about 18 months and 9,xxx miles ago using brand new Fel Pro gasket set, developed a leak right at the oil pressure relief valve between the front plate and the block. This "NEW" cork/rubber gasket wasn't made very well and split and broke out about 15 minutes after torquing the plate down. So, I RTVed it up real well and it started leaking after about 3k miles. Its next on the chopping block to be fixed. Just consider that there is substantial oil pressure right at that point

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Did it allow you to stretch the gasket any? This one between the block and front plate is heavy paper, not cork, and the whole thing is a bit small. Your note about the new ones not being made well, makes me a bit nervous too!

Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

The gaskets will expand some it depends on how long you soak em and how dry they are. I'd say try soaking a few over night and see what you end up with. Can't hurt right? I believe the new gasket that broke was originally paper, but the modern (Fel Pro) gaskets are all the paper type are a thicker rubbery material. I'll add that was the only problem I had with the new gasket set. And the last old gaskets that I soaked I bought from a fellow at Reedsville for a T96 OD and they looked like the were for a 7/8ths scale version but they worked fine I got a deal on them so it was worth a shot

Jon Krimm
        1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

I've never seen "old" paper gaskets that have shrunk. I suspect that if they have, then they have been wet at some time. It's not worth the hassle to use inferior gaskets and then have to re-visit the job a couple years later due to excessive leaks. As for cork gaskets that have shrunk, I wouldn't use them if rubberized cork ones that don't shrink, are available. I don't like having to do things over again!

Comment

Both look like they may have gotten wet. Maybe before I got them, maybe when a tree fell on the garage and the roof leaked. Funny thing is, the rest look fine, though I've not checked the sizes yet. Maybe I just spilled a beer on them, though I think I'd remember losing a perfectly good beer!

Ditto on not re-doing things, especially when it would be a PITA to fix later. Sometimes being cheap is expensive, I guess I'll just buy some fresh gaskets. The wallet-moths need some fresh air anyway.

Ron Dame
            '63 Champ
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

I dont subscribe to the CASO aspect of the hobby cheap 9 times out of 10 equals headaches,problems and breakdowns, Id just buy new gaskets, proper sealers and torque

54 coupe future Bonneville car 200 mph
              63 Lark Custom 2D R1 4speed 1of1 bench seat
              CUSTOM R1
              51 2r11 truck 289 4 2bbl carbs 5 speed
              59 Chassis Research dragster 347 Pontiac powered

Comment

If you could just remember what kind of beer it was, and use some of that..

Comment

What? Use Highland Gaelic Ale on a gasket? Surely you jest!

Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                  X