Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Parts swapping for auto 1st gear start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts swapping for auto 1st gear start

Since I cannot do much work on my lark at present since it is on blocks on the other side of town... I am thinking out loud if you will on some things I have considered doing to my lark during the process of better restoring and modifing the old girl

I was going through my stack of old Turning wheels the other day and came across a few letters in the Co-opperator section on building a V8 automatic transmission with first gear start. The suggested method mentioned was to take a 61/62 six automatic and replace the drums and clutches with V8 and HD flightomatic parts.

Has anyone out there actually done this... I have a spare 62 six automatic and a 66 V8 auto. What specific parts are needed to beef up the 62 six auto or is it as simple as taking the drums and clutches from the 66 auto and installing them in the 62.

Just wondering, I have a 259 coming and I am trying to decide on transmissions. I would like a 4 speed manual but in the off chance the my wife "might" need to dive the lark in an emergency...the only stick shift that she knows how to drive is an International tractor.

Jeff T

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

I think all you'll need to do is swap valve body from six trans into V8 trans. It's pretty simple swap. I'm sure I could be wrong, we've done it in the past and worked. As you may know, first gear is there and is the "L". I wish ya well.
    Kim

Comment

SASCO has the V8 first gear start valve bodies that is a one part swap.

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net
      http://stude.com
      My Ebay Items
      http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 GT hawk
      64 Commander 2 door
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starlight
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

You can not just bolt in a 6cyl trans valve body. It's not that simple.
        You can buy one of the sure enough V8 trans 1st gear start valve bodies as JDP suggests or you CAN change some springs in your existing valve body and have it work. See some of the recent posts here by Rosstude.
        Some folks I've talked to claim they've had to swap out the governor to keep 1st gear from upshifting too quick. Others say it's not a problem. This MAY be because they were dealing with different editions of the Flight-o-matic. It's NOT just as simple as there's a V8 trans and a 6cyl trans. There's numerous variants out there with subtle differences that could work for or against the valve body change.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

sigpic
          Ross.
          Riverside, Ca.
          1957 Provincial X2
          1958 Transtar

Comment

Ross, you bring up a good point - WHY did engineering change the FOM to second gear start after about the first 20,000 of them went into the '56 V8 cars??? This after they'd changed the predecessor DG transmission to first gear start starting in 1954. Why did they GO to 1st gear start and why did they change back - in mid-run no less!???

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

sigpic
              Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar

Comment

Ross, I have it on good authority (SDC Tech consultant for the FOM trannies - John Metzker) that the 6cyl valve body is a no-go in a V8 trans. This from a guy who still builds auto transes to this day. Of course, John COULD BE wrong, but I'm not gonna try to prove that to be so. FACT IS, I've had a valve body I took out of a 62 6cyl Lark some time back, but I never tried it because I consulted with John first. I figured if he didn't know - no one would.
                John lives down your way. Very nice fellow who'll let youpick his brain about the ins and outs of Flight-o-matics as much as you want. Just be prepared to get answers that are WAY over your head.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I am already in over my head[:I]

Ross.
                  Riverside, Ca.
                  1957 Provincial X2
                  1958 Transtar
                  1963 Lark
                  sigpic
                  Ross.
                  Riverside, Ca.
                  1957 Provincial X2
                  1958 Transtar