No announcement yet.

Cleaning a frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering how effective it would be NOT TO REMOVE anything (frame-on) and use one of the car tilt machines to tilt then sand blast the bottom with nothing removed.

I understand how flimsy these frames can be, especially on hardtop and convertible without door bracing before the frame is removed from the body.

Paul

Comment

55s, do not do that. The frame and floor material are different thicknesses, and each will require different time under the blaster. What it takes to strip the frame will warp or abrade though the floor sheet metal and what strips the sheet metal will not help the frame. One, or at most two quick passes over the sheet metal will strip it, some people use gentler abrasive media like soda or walnut shells on sheet metal, where the frame can easily take sand. Remember, it is the heat from abrasion that causes the warpage.

Comment

CASO approved gunk removal method! Use oven cleaner on the crud.Spray it on and let it sit.Power wash the crud off in your driveway and be ready to prime the frame when done. Be ready to power wash the driveway next! On heavy goo buildups you may need repeated applications of oven cleaner and a scraper,but it will work and save your arms from all that heavy scraping without it .Just wear gloves and glasses because you do not want caustic oven cleaner in your eye balls,and it won't be as gentle as Palmolive on yer mitts! Madge says Hi.

Comment

CASO approved gunk removal method!! Use oven cleaner and spray liberally on all your nasty crud.Let it soak in real good as if cleaning the wifes oven.Then grab a power washer and power wash the frame.Then power wash the driveway Javascript:insertsmilie'' When dry prime the frame.Heavy deposits of goo will require some scraper time and a reapplication of cleaner but it will save your arms. Just wera gloves and glasses because you don't want caustic oven cleaner in your eye balls and it won't be as gentle as Palmolive on yer mitts! Madge says HI!

Comment

I have a 100 lb pressure pot blaster & supplied air hood, but a couple of months ago when I was ready to have a Packard Hawk frame done I took it down to a local powder coater. They did a beautiful job for just slightly more than I would have spent on materials. I spent $400.00 for the frame, crossmembers & 4 control arms. With powder coating you never get runs, overspray, or thin spots.

Barry'd in Studes
            Barry'd in Studes

Comment

ONE THING I FOUND THAT WORKS REAL GOOD ON DIRTY AND MESSY OLD FRAME IS FIRST GET A FEW CANS OF EASY OFF OVEN CLEANER SPRAY IT ON LET IT SET SOME AND SCRAPE IT OFF LIKE BUTTER DO IT TWICE AND POWER WASH IT THE 2ND TIME AND IT WILL BE CLEAN, JUST DON'T BREATHE THIS STUFF IN AS YOU WILL SOON SEE, CHEAP AND WORKS GOOD...GOOD LUCK
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Got it all cleaned and painted!

Now...can I use the same motor mounts for the Stude V8? The six was here.

Comment

Yes... the mounts for the frame are the same V8 & 6. I'm not sure-- but I think the rubber motor mounts are different... they do have different part numbers for different models too...
                  Best to order the "right" ones for the application

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                  Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                  Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Beautiful job, Tom! []

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks great Tom, Which method worked for you?

Packardbakerly,
                      J.D.
                      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                      J.D.

Comment

Thanks guys. As much as I moaned about being lazy, these things don't clean themselves and if I wanted the results I got before, it took patience plodding along with the wire brushes & degreaser. It makes me shake my head, because this car I'd planned to 'get running and flip it'.
                        I have a hard time parting with them.

Comment

Steam Clean
                          Regards

Comment

Working...
                          X