Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Build Sheet help 63 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Sheet help 63 GT

I got my build sheet the other day.
    Trying to figure out a few items;

1.81 AC 3180 Left (mirror?)
    2. 68 Front Bump (are these the front bumper guards or something else?)
    3. X84 AC3285 L&H (maybe these are the bumper guards)
    4. 92 service for retail dely (is this on everyone just meaning prep for delivery?)
    5. 14 7241 BV Vinyl Trim and 14A matching Inserts. I'll assume these are color codes for the seats (Blue?)
    6. At the bottom it states add items 81 and 92. Was it possible the car was built then sat at the factory and these items were added? The build date was 6/21/63 and date written says 10/5/63

Thanks for all your help.

AC 3180 is indeed the strato-vue outside mirror. AC 3285 is front seat belt kit (blue)
    Can't help with the rest.

Doug

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CKOT

4. 92 service for retail dely (is this on everyone just meaning prep for delivery?)
      This generally means the customer picked up the car at the factory.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Pick up factory certainly makes sense. Now it gets interesting. The build sheet says South Bend Indiana, O.H. Klausmeyer. I looked up that name recognizing it from other threads and found this reference, by Richard Quinn that he was an asst manager of manufacturing amongst other things in a 40+ yr career. Is it possible he took delivery of the car or probably more likely was this just a general name they put on production orders for factory pickup instead of a Dealer name? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rms=klausmeyer

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help thus far.
          Can anyone help me with the rest? 2,5,6?

Comment

2. 68 Front Bump (are these the front bumper guards or something else?)Yes code 68 IS the front Bumper Guards
            5. 14 7241 BV Vinyl Trim and 14A matching Inserts. I'll assume these are color codes for the seats (Blue?)This says you do not have the very commonly ordered White Vinyl seat Inserts, but SOLID Blue Seats.
            6. At the bottom it states add items 81 and 92. Was it possible the car was built then sat at the factory and these items were added? The build date was 6/21/63 and date written says 10/5/63
            This car was clearly factory delivered, so the "prepare for retail delivery" option and the much needed [u]to drive</u> mirror, could have been added later when the decision was made to pick-up the car at the factory.

We may never know if Mr. Klausmeyer was merely assigned to deliver the car, or the car was personally assigned to him to drive. The buyer could have been a close friend of someone at a high level in the Co. like Mr. K!

Update: There really are quite a few possibilities here! If the order was re-written to add factory delivery 4 months after it was built, it could have been sold to an employee, at a good discount of course!

I remember all those newspaper stories in Dec. '63 about the Plant closing, with pictures of the employees mostly all driving out of the plant in 1963 Larks, of which there were many unsold units.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If the car was assigned to Mr. Klausmeyer for his personal use, there may be an appropriation number hand written on the original production order. That would be the Stude job order account that was used to pay for the car.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks!
                sooo, my seats are blue on blue and do certainly seem original
                No hand-written numbers.
                really neat having the production order to know most everything I have is original.
                Standard GT but with:
                TT, tach, radio, bumper guards, blue-on-blue seats, black paint, powersift, seatbelts, mirror, undercoating (none left), climatizer, wsw tires, electric wipers.

I purchased this from an estate that in Waukegan, Illinois, Wallace Stack was the owner who had passed away. At some point before that it was In Valparaiso, IN. Certainly very interesting to know it stayed fairly close to home

Comment

Chris; Yes, your car was personally owned by Otto Klausmeyer. It was one of 39 vehicles he owned in his lifetime. His first was a 1906 Armac Single motorcycle and last a gold 1964 Avanti. His first Studebaker was a 1910 Flanders roadster. In all he owned 17 Studebakers (most purchased new), including a Rockne and the Flanders, plus 3 Pierce Arrows. Besides the GT you have he also a '63 Wagonaire in Sea Beach tan that he bought new. I had a chance to buy it back in the early '80's. Sorry I do not have a photo of Otto with the '63 GT but the one above shows him with his first new Studebaker a '26 Model EP Big Six coach.
                  I have a copy of the production order for your GT that was in his personal effects. He was quite a guy!

Richard Quinn
                  editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Now that is cool! Thanks Richard for the info. Now I own a small part of Stude history.

Comment

Working...
                    X