Supercharging with VS57S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Supercharging with VS57S

Picked up a questionable supercharger yesterday, open the back cover and found the impeller section had a corroded impeller. I wondered if there was more corrosion damage that would make the McCulloch unrebuildable.

I wanted to open up the body to check for issues. pulled the outer pulley half, but could not get the sliding rear half to budge, decided to go in from the rear. Learned how to pull the impeller from a call to Phil Harris. Pulled the impeller, pulled body bolts , rubber hammered the body apart and found no corrosion!

But surprised to find mud dabbers in the body casting slots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221215_Inspection1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.1 KB ID:	1970427

So the question is - How do I install this supercharger on my 1955 Commander Ultra Vista Regal new rebuilt 259 V8 , 6 volt +grnd?

Seems I need to
    add correct SC pulley on crankshaft.
    Install the 57 Hawk SC mount casting to the thermo outlet.
    install the 57 Hawk intake manifold, carb, air chamber, and a suitable air cleaner.
    add a 1" spacer to fan to move forward.
    add fuel pump pressure line from pump to air chamber.

Maybe other issues?

Last time you had a stuck inner pulley half, how did you resolve the issue?
    Last edited by Craig; 12-15-2022, 06:06 PM.

For a machine old enough to collect Social Security, it doesn't look too bad.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

If you have any High Rise '55 to '57 2 Barrel Intake Manifold it will work.

The The Supercharger Pressure Reference Line goes from the Fuel Pump to the S/C, not the Air Box.

The Electric Clutch requires 12 Volts Negative Gnd.

You need the Tensioner Arm, Idler Pulley and Spring

You MAY want a Rear Mount spin-on bi-pass Oil Filter or a inner Fender Mounted aftermarket one.

The Sedan Hood is better for top mounted S/C clearance than a C or K, but MAY still hit a '55, it is not as tall as the '56 and '57 Sedans/Wagons which WILL clear easily, proven by the Factory built, '57 President Sedan Supercharged Police Cars and '57 Packards.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-15-2022, 10:27 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have 2 pulleys installed on the bottom hub with 6 bolts 1/4" too long.

Any issues with adding this S/C heavy cast iron pulley in front of Generator and powering steering pulleys?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221216_131024.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1970508 Click image for larger version

Name:	BottomPulleySet.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1970509

Comment

I see the Chassis parts book lists the intake manifolds for 2 barrel application and seems to overlap the 55-58 parts, but there is a part number change. Must be sumpthin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ChassisBookManifoldCompare.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.4 KB ID:	1970604
          what are the differences?
          what are the plugs?

Also what is the logo on the McCulloch correct for 1957?
          Was a sticker put over the cast flying bird?

Name:	1957McCompare.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1970607

Last edited by Craig; 12-17-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

One is made for Studebaker, the Other is for an Aftermarket generic Supercharger for custom installations.
            Maybe for Kaiser's, Fords or Thunderbirds?
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The supercharged manifold has a slightly different heat tube for the automatic choke. The plugs (two of them) are big threaded ones in the bottom of the manifold.
              JT

Comment

McCulloch came out with the supercharger in late 52. Originally was a 6 volt solenoid. And was used on many 6 volt Kaiser Manhattens as factory equipment. Latert versions of the McCulloch were improved. Wear on the sliding splines of the pulleys is the biggest problem. All bearings but the drive elements are available through your local bearing supply houses.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Craig, a quick note about the rebuilt fuel pump I sent you..

On the top half of the pump housing, there’s a boss, 180 degrees from the actuating arm. That’s where the threaded fitting goes for the boost reference line.

To make the pump work with your supercharger setup:

Remove the small aluminum plug next to the pump mounting flange, and drive out the pivot pin for the actuating arm. Then remove the arm.

Remove the 6 screws around the perimeter of the pump, and split the housing in half. With the actuating arm removed, the fuel pump diaphragm will fall out of the housing.

You can then drill and tap the top half of the housing for the appropriate threaded fitting for the boost reference line.

When putting it back together, be careful reinstalling the aluminum plug for the pivot pin. The new plugs that come in the rebuild kits are slightly oversized and it’s easy to crack the pump housing (don’t ask how I know).
                  Last edited by mbstude; 12-18-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• StudeRich
                    StudeRich commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One more important detail; the small Hole at the very Top, hidden in the bottom of the Tower Hole has to be Plugged with J B Weld or similar, it is a VENT !

Thank you Matt, I should have a Carter S/C pump for rebuild coming next week .
                  Can I run a S/C Carter pump with no supercharger, simply add a filter sock at the end of the line shown here .
                  then hook this vent up to the McCulloch later when it returns from Phil?

I plan to put engine back in with most of the S/C mounting installed and run stock Stromberg on OEM manifold.

Add the S/C after it returns, change out intake manifold with correct carb/airbox.

I know 5/16 vs 3/8 fuel line.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221218_CarterSCPump.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	1970775
                  Last edited by Craig; 12-18-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

You can plug the hole in the “supercharged” fuel pump until you’re ready to install the blower.

I’m looking forward to seeing your car come together. A supercharged ‘55 four door sedan is just cool.

BTW, I’ll buy back the non-S/C fuel pump if you want.

Comment

• Craig
                      Craig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will keep you posted , need to make this StudiJudi an actual running Studebaker.

aquired a distributor with the S/C parts flowing in.

What is it ? does it make a S/C install run better?

Name:	20221218_Prestolite1.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1970798 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221218_Prestolite3.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1970799 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221218_Prestolite2.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1970800
                    Thanks for any education on this

Comment

That is a Prestolite IBS 4312 Dual Point Distributor for an Avanti or Jet Thrust Engine.
                      I believe that Model is for R2's, the R1 Dist. is almost identical except the Advance detail Parts.

The Felt Pad to retain shaft lube Motor Oil is missing from the center shaft.

Dual Point Distributors are used for more accurate firing at Higher RPM's than most Low performance engines, also with a Higher RPM Advance curve.

Test the vacuum Advance and check or Set the Points. Do Not replace the Condensor with New Chinese junk.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-18-2022, 05:46 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would like to find a curved vent pipe, as there is none with this project. I realize that vented valve covers could be used.
                        Anyone have a curved oil vent for sale?

pictured is a chrome pipe overlaid on a workshop photo of same pipe in pink.

Click image for larger version  Name:	58ShopSCFillTube2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	1970883
                        Last edited by Craig; 12-19-2022, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Craig,
                          I believe my S/C on my '57 Clipper Wagon has a unique decal featuring Packard.(Can't check personally until I can get to Arizona).
                          Bill

Comment

• Craig
                            Craig commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The McCulloch S/C logo appears to me to be a flying Cormorant, well known Packard hood ornament.
                        Working...
                        X