Sunvisor Clip position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Sunvisor Clip position

I had my headliner done and I’m not confident in the current position of my sunvisor clip position. Would another 1963 GT Hawk owner measure the location of the sunvisor clip location. Maybe one measurement from the sunvisor mounting screw to the clip screw location and another measurement from the inside rear view mirror screw to the clip screw placement would be great. Click image for larger version

Name:	D8B5894D-DD32-4C2B-BA84-50AF08CCA6DA.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1969245
    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
    1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
    1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

AFAIK - there is only 1 screw hole to mount the clip. Can you telegraph out your visor pin ?

Comment

What Jack said. Swing the visor to the 'stowed' position and the ball will mark the position of the clip. Then you can probe with a needle or an awl for the screw hole. Cake and Pie.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        AFAIK - there is only 1 screw hole to mount the clip. Can you telegraph out your visor pin ?
        I appreciate your responses.
        No, my pins have been glued in by a previous owner. As soon as I get the measurement I can install the sunvisor clip and then I will drill out the visor balls and insert new.
        Rather than re-inventing the wheel I thought it would be beneficial to have the original measurements to get it right!
        1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
        1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Are the "Pins" you refer to the short Rod with the Ball?
          They SHOULD just twist and Pull right out, unless that is what is Glued in.

Former Owners... .
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Are the "Pins" you refer to the short Rod with the Ball?
            They SHOULD just twist and Pull right out, unless that is what is Glued in.

Former Owners... .
            Yes, the short rod with the ball. One is busted off and the other seems to be seized. I’m going to drill the one and twist the other until it comes out or breaks. Then I’ll drill it out too.
            Thanks
            Robert
            1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
            1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

I can't believe it's been three days and nobody posted pics for you. I took the exact pics you're asking for years ago to answer the same question for Topper 2011 . I tried to find them three days ago but couldn't find them among the thousands I have on this machine. Perhaps Topper still has them and will chime in. I'll try to remember to take some new ones tomorrow to post, but my memory isn't what it use to be.
              ​​​​​​​

Comment

Apologies Robert. I've been asleep at the wheel. Here are the measurements from Rick when I needed the same as you. BTW, your headliner turned out way better than mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	visor clip 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1969576 Click image for larger version

Name:	visor clip .jpg
Views:	112
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1969577

I also have to advise you that my 62 had different visor arms than the ones I replaced them with. So, I had to drill new holes. My arms were direct 90 degrees while the replacement ones are like yours, kind of a dip at the 90 instead. It was enough to throw off the length for me. I used a small drill bit (from when I was into HO trains) and holder to poke through the perforations to find the original holes. Rick, I just noticed you have a cracked clip.
                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Rick, Anon, I really appreciate the pictures. Now I can be sure all is placed properly.

Anon, What issues did you have with your new head liner?

Thanks Again Everyone
                  Robert
                  1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                  1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Originally posted by 1inxs View Post
                    Rick, Anon, I really appreciate the pictures. Now I can be sure all is placed properly.

Anon, What issues did you have with your new head liner?

Thanks Again Everyone
                    Robert
                    I have a lot of wrinkles and I know some of the stays are off a bit. But what the heck, my first headliner and I have low standards.

Name:	4FE0BFCD-B4C1-4AF3-89CA-55B9F0BB59E5.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1969636

I have tucked it in a bit better since this photo, but it still looks like a rumpled suit.
                    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Considering what you started with I think the whole car looks great Roland! Good catch, I never noticed the crack, then again I never use the visors so have never had a need to move them out of the clips. It actually looks like both clips have a crack in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

I have a lot of wrinkles and I know some of the stays are off a bit. But what the heck, my first headliner and I have low standards.

Name:	4FE0BFCD-B4C1-4AF3-89CA-55B9F0BB59E5.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1969636

I have tucked it in a bit better since this photo, but it still looks like a rumpled suit.
                        Did you purchase a pre made liner or get one sewed up? Did you pull the rear glass? I know it helps to get the headliner positioned better. A few wrinkles and rumples aren’t so bad considering the alternative. It was kind of funny. Before I got the new head liner, people would never notice anything wrong until I asked them to turn around and look in the back. It was duck taped and looked really bad.
                        1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                        1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Originally posted by 1inxs View Post

Did you purchase a pre made liner or get one sewed up? Did you pull the rear glass? I know it helps to get the headliner positioned better. A few wrinkles and rumples aren’t so bad considering the alternative. It was kind of funny. Before I got the new head liner, people would never notice anything wrong until I asked them to turn around and look in the back. It was duck taped and looked really bad.
                          I bought the headliner from Doug at SMS when he was still running things. Came quickly and fit well. I did remove the rear and front glass as the headliner does wrap around the flanges and glued to them. The weatherstrip also secures it. I used some off the shelf contact cement which I should not have. It actually got all gooey and didn't really hold the headliner under tension very well. I should have used upholstery glue. I removed the windshield since it was broken anyway and wanted new weatherstrips, I hate water leaks. The rear glass was pretty easy.
                          "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

It looks pretty good. Hopefully a good hot summer will even things out.
                            1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                            1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

• Topper2011
                              Topper2011 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks. I may take a heat gun to it, but waiting for my door and side panels to come to see if it helps with securing them better.
                          Working...
                          X