Looking for 20 over cast iron piston rings for 1955 President 259V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Looking for 20 over cast iron piston rings for 1955 President 259V8

I really don't want to go any larger. If anyone out there might have any leads on 20mil over piston rings, could you pease let me know. (I figured this might be one of the tougher aspects of this project). 10 over won't do it because some of the cylinders just are too scratched. I really appreciate any and all help any of you out there is Studeland may have to offer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Russ at studebakerparts.com shows them on his site. http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...tore/s/engine8
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by cwsimpson View Post
      I really don't want to go any larger. If anyone out there might have any leads on 20mil over piston rings, could you pease let me know. (I figured this might be one of the tougher aspects of this project). 10 over won't do it because some of the cylinders just are too scratched. I really appreciate any and all help any of you out there is Studeland may have to offer. Thanks in advance for your help.
      Your build, your money, your decision, but consider:

1. This is likely the last rebuild this Studebaker will ever need or get.
      2. The difference between .020" and .030" is structurally insignificant.
      3. Even at .030", the cylinders can theoretically be rebored at least two and some three times more.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

I'm with Jack on this. The most common rebore is .030" and there will still be lots of metal left.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks Guys-
          (tsenecal, Jack & Eddie)
          ts-I did recheck with Russ.- He does have 20 over in chrome- just not in cast iron. (I checked with him earlier in the year also)Thanks for responding Eddie and Jack. Respect your opinions on this very much. I think I'd rather stick with the cast iron here- I don't have any experience with chrome. The 030 rebore- I'm sure you're both right- I'll discuss this with my machinist. Again- thx all. Any and all opinions and data welcome.
          Chuck S.

Comment

Hastings lists cast iron rings for that engine in all overbores.

Comment

Originally posted by enjenjo View Post
              Hastings lists cast iron rings for that engine in all overbores.
              Just looking and saw something I haven't seen heretofore: Hastings 630 set - Country of Origin - China.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

thx enje-It seems like a lot of places list these but they are definitely in short supply. The typical response when calling is "I haven't seen those for 6 mos. or so." I guess I was just hoping that someone might have a set somewhere. but 30 over will do just fine. Thanks

Jack- Thx for the heads up on the Hastings rings

Comment

I anticipate a bunch of filing (and very careful deburring) to get the proper end gaps on 24 rings. The finished gap has to be no tighter than the minimum in the smallest part of the bore.

After I filed the first one I'd out it in my smallest bore and check with a bright flashlight for light between the ring OD face and cylinder. If there is light the chances of the ring conforming in service is questionable.

Might be able to do the "light test" by overlapping an uncut ring's ends and installing it in the small cylinder. No need ruining a new ring set for nothin' .

Oh, and if the new ring side clearance in the piston groove is much over .003" performance and life may be unsatisfactory.

Comment

As Jack V. has said several times: the COST; Parts, Effort, Labor etc. of doing a "Patch up" Job is way Too close to the cost of a "Right Thing" Job, to even Think about it.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not really looking to do a "Patch up" job here. This is a professional rebuild.
                      Thx for posting

Comment

If it helps Chevy 194 6-cylinder engines use the same rings, although you would have to buy 2 sets to have enough for 8 pistons. Also, have you tried Ebay? They often have NOS and Vintage aftermarket sets available. Good luck to you.

Joe
                        Last edited by irish; 12-14-2022, 07:17 PM.
                        sigpic

1962 Daytona
                        1964 Cruiser
                        And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                          If it helps Chevy 194 6-cylinder engines use the same rings, although you would have to buy 2 sets to have enough for 8 pistons. Good luck to you.

Joe
                          Yes, Joe, that was a go-to back in the day, but now the major suppliers, Hastings for one, now only offer the Shiverlay rings in .060". Most of our Stude vendors get their rings from Grant, who has been out-of-stock on .020" and .030" for a year now.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

The last time I couldn't find rings, I measured the old ones and called Hastings. They came up with rings that all I had to do was set the ring gap. That motor has been running great for over 50K miles since then, and I don't treat it 'nice', I run the hell out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by yeroldad View Post
                              The last time I couldn't find rings, I measured the old ones and called Hastings. They came up with rings that all I had to do was set the ring gap. That motor has been running great for over 50K miles since then, and I don't treat it 'nice', I run the hell out of it.
                              Yes, that's a possibility, but not a CASO one. Don't know what Hastings charged you, but last time I had them make up a set of rings from individual numbers, the cost was four times as much as when buying them by the one set number. But I understand, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X