Disassemble Gauge Cluster in '55 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Disassemble Gauge Cluster in '55 Commander

The needles on the speedometer and gauges on my Commander were faded, and that didn't bother me much...but when the paint started flaking-off the speedometer needle, then I had to do something. Getting the cluster out were fairly easy. I have a later '55, with the "Ultra-Vista" curved windshield, and getting behind the dash was easy. Getting the cluster assemblies apart was a little more tedious. Having been in one piece for so long, the chrome surround was stuck tight around the metal housing. I had to slowly inch my way around the chrome rings with a couple of very thin screwdrivers, but they eventually broke free. I'm attaching a few photos of the bits-and-pieces, in case someone would like to see how it's put together.
    All of the glass was foggy and dirty. If you decide to tackle this project, just be patient and don't disturb the painted images on the glass. Also keep in mind to use fluorescent paint on the needles...regular red paint will just look black at night with the dash lights on. I bought paint specifically labeled for gauge indicators, and was only about $3.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges 9.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1968670 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1968671 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges 3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1968672 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges 4.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1968673 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges 8.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1968674 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges 10.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1968675

I'll check back in when I get everything back together.

Thanks for sharing. I hope that I won't become inclined to ever do that job again, but I sure it will help others.

Comment

Working...
    X