1950 Champion rear main leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1950 Champion rear main leak

I have had a somewhat major oil leak from the rear main since I inherited the car. My brother, Bob Glasscock had the engine overhauled by someone else. I finally had time to take the engine out and see what was up. Then rear main cap has a hole in it that is connected to the inside area of the rear main seal. I have seen pictures of the hole in the engine section of the repair manual and in every picture the hole is open. The main cap in my engine has a pipe plug in it and is therefore blocked off. It seems to me that it is necessary for this to be open to permit any oil between the bearing and the seal to drain back. I have removed the plug and am curious as to the size of the drain back. Should it be completely unrestricted, my thought or should it be a smaller drain that 1/8" pipe? I think this is the complete reason for the leak, since oil between the bearing and the seal had no place but out the seal to go. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I had no idea that there was a threaded hole there but you are correct. The oil that is tossed off the slinger on the crank is supposed to go into that void area and drain back into the pan. As designed there should be no oil end up where the rear main seal is other than mist. That area has to be open to the pan. You have the problem figured out. Lots of work to repair but an easy fix. DMc

Comment

• rglasscock
      rglasscock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your help. Now I can start to put it back together.

The hole is threaded because earlier Champion engines had a drain tube in that spot. Agree that it shouldn’t be plugged.

Comment

• rglasscock
      rglasscock commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting about the drain tube, now the threading makes sense. Thanks.
Working...
X