Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53 Coupe vinyl headliner—tack strip: yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 53 Coupe vinyl headliner—tack strip: yes or no?

Most of the online descriptions/instructions for C/K headliner installation (Ray-Lin, one on Bob Johnstone’s) make no mention of using any staples, or even the presence of the tack strip. So what’s the consensus? Yes or no? If required, does anyone have any pictures of where the tack strips go? Also, is there a more proper name for them?
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

It is glued. I do not recall any tack strips on these cars. Measure carefully and go slowly. Invest in a good headliner tho I have no idea who makes a good on anymore. Can anyone recommend a good source since I too will need one soon?

Comment

I know there are tack strips around the back window and portions of the rear quarter windows. Been almost twenty years since I did the headliner in my '53 Coupe, so my memories of elsewhere are vague at best. Should be easy enough to see when you remove the old headliner.
      Some of my original cardboard tack strips were still usable, but most not. I bought the replacement vinyl tack strip from Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa. He has a couple thicknesses available. Use the thinner one. They were originally attached to the sheet metal with screw-nails, I used tiny sheet metal screws.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My '54 sedan had tack strips, but I don't know for sure if the C/K cars used them in '53/'54.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Above the side windows, there is a curved aluminum tack strip that starts by the windshield and curves slightly behind the rear of the main side window. It has sharp angled teeth that hold the headliner up between the strip itself and the top of the side door opening.

Just ahead of the rear fold out window, there is a filler strip that starts at the end of the aluminum tack strip and goes down to the door panel.

Front and rear are glued, preferably with the windows out.

Comment

In the way back, I bought headliners from Acme Headliner, in LA, Ca. Most of them were a good fit, but, on occasion I had to send one back for exchange, but rarely. They have been in business for about 100 years and have patterns for virtually every vehicle American made.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
              It is glued. I do not recall any tack strips on these cars. Measure carefully and go slowly. Invest in a good headliner tho I have no idea who makes a good on anymore. Can anyone recommend a good source since I too will need one soon?
              I got mine from Loga Enterprises. Ernie is great to work with.
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                I know there are tack strips around the back window and portions of the rear quarter windows. Been almost twenty years since I did the headliner in my '53 Coupe, so my memories of elsewhere are vague at best. Should be easy enough to see when you remove the old headliner.
                Some of my original cardboard tack strips were still usable, but most not. I bought the replacement vinyl tack strip from Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa. He has a couple thicknesses available. Use the thinner one. They were originally attached to the sheet metal with screw-nails, I used tiny sheet metal screws.
                Haha, I understand that—this has been a 10 year project. But I’m having fun with it…anyway, what was left of the headliner and the old tack strips I removed when I first got it. I’d always planned on having someone else do the interior work, and the upholstery shop said not to worry about it. Of course, they went out of business. I can figure out how to put it back in, but if folks have been doing it without (and it looks right) then I’d prefer to save the effort.
                Dave Nevin
                Corvallis, OR
                Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                  Above the side windows, there is a curved aluminum tack strip that starts by the windshield and curves slightly behind the rear of the main side window. It has sharp angled teeth that hold the headliner up between the strip itself and the top of the side door opening.

Just ahead of the rear fold out window, there is a filler strip that starts at the end of the aluminum tack strip and goes down to the door panel.

Front and rear are glued, preferably with the windows out.
                  Thanks—I fortunately do have those curved strips over the side windows. I’ll take a good look around the rear fold-out windows.

Dave Nevin
                  Corvallis, OR
                  Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I got mine for a 1960 Hawk from Automotive Interiors. It fit well and didn't take too long to get. https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/...hl-pass-1955-v
                    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                    X