Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel pump question, 63 V8

G'Day Guys,
    This is my first post, and I am placing it for a friend who recently bought a 1963 lark cruiser with a 259 V8 in it running the original WW Stromberg two-barrel carburettor. The previous owner had converted the car to run almost exclusively on LP gas (bottled liquid petroleum) and rarely used the carburettor and fuel pump system. It has had the mechanical fuel pump replaced with an electric unit and is prone to flooding "VERY" badly at idle and low revs. A replacement needle and seat improved it slightly but still flooding, just not as badly, so I put a vacuum/pressure gauge on it to see what the pump was delivering! The gauge didn't read high enough to measure it accurately, it sent the needle around until it hit the pin and stopped, that was at 7 PSI. The workshop manual says it should be 3.5 to 5 PSI, so it could be way over this, I think the electric pump is overloading the needle and seat and as a result flooding the carby. The owner would like to replace the electric pump with a mechanical unit, and we have been doing some looking online and there seems to be a lot of views about the suitability of some of the aftermarket pumps available. Some are reputed to be useless rubbish, and others are designed for different engines and not a good fit on a Stude engine, so we are asking advice if you have any recommendations for an acceptable replacement that is reasonably available. We are in Western Australia and do not have access to some of the retail outlets you may be familiar with, but a good percentage now deal online with overseas customers so we should be able to access at least "some" of the US parts sources.

Anyway, now that I have asked my first question, a bit about "me"!
    I am a recently retired farmer who has moved 200 miles from the family farm down to a coastal town. I bought my first Studebaker, an ermine white 289ci GT Hawk back in the 1980s and drove it as a daily driver for several years but as it had rust issues, I took it off the road and attended to those. While I was working on that car, I bought a second GT Hawk and continued to use that as a daily driver, but eventually put it in storage also. As the old story goes, "life got in the way" and neither of these cars have been on the road in quite a few years! As I have now retired, I am setting myself up with a new shed to bring one of these down here and complete the restoration I started so long ago.
    I have no doubt I will be asking a few questions of you over the next little while, and from what I can see there are a lot of very knowledgeable contributors to this forum, so I hope to make your acquaintance over time.

Thanks blokes,
    Graham,
    from Bunbury, Western Australia.

Being a Studebaker engine, you most probably not...find a "mechanical", Stude fuel pump. You'll have to go to a Studebaker vendor...somewhere...that hopefully ships to the AU.

The other side of that is buy a "regulator" to lower the electric pumps outlet. Most all that have an electric full pump...also have a regulator to drop the pressure.
    And yes, 3.5 to 4psi is a good pressure.
    Check Jegs or Summit, I think that they ship world wide.

Encounter problems, ask away. Many folks here with a lot of experience. But be prepared for anecdotal (non-first hand experience) information. DO YOUR homework, look into, verify with more than one answer.

Mike

Comment

Hello and Welcome Graham to the SDC and to the SDC Forums.

If you have not been a long time SDC Member reading the Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" lately, you may not be aware of any of the Studebaker Parts Vendors in AU and New Zealand closer to you.

Keep in mind that I would not have recent associations with any that Used to exist there, being over here, but there are quite a few very enthusiastic SDC Members over there and some WERE Vendors last I heard.

I know the Website I am Posting and linking here will be a bit overwhelming, but it is the latest listing of All reported Vendors who wanted to be listed.

https://studebakervendors.com

I am aware that the "Dual Fuel" Propane System is not the best, due to the drying out of the Carb. unless used now and then.
      The worst victim would be the accelerator Pump.
      A Complete rebuild MAY be in order.
      Straight Propane only Systems do not use a Gasoline Carb.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-24-2022, 07:46 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey BalkaRoo/Graham, good help and support can be found right here in Australia, start with your home state, go to Google type in Western Australian Studebaker Car Club and away you go. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

Working...
        X