Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "New" Medium Duty Truck Transmission Option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: A "New" Medium Duty Truck Transmission Option?

This would not even be a crazy Option for a CAR, however I have come to appreciate the 4L80E Heavy Duty 4 Speed O.D. for a Medium Duty Truck.
    I think with the Big Truck "C" Cab, Large Trans. Tunnel, it would Not need floor mods to fit.
    I am told it is similar to a H.D. Bullet Proof THM-400, but WITH Overdrive.

I have one in my '92 Chev. K2500 Extended Cab, Long Bed, 3/4 Ton 4X4 Pickup with a 350 Engine.
    I would Really like this in my 7E-13, 1 Ton '62, 289 4V Transtar Dually, to replace the Clunky, Noisy New process 5 Speed Manual Overdrive.

I would of course need one from a 4X2 not a 4X4, but this one Works just SOOO Well with Overdrive and Lockup, it's hard to ignore the possibilities of NOT using a wimpy, weaker GM Trans. even though VERY expensive with all the Electronic shift, speedometer, etc, etc, adapters to a Non-Electronic Stude. V8.

I think it could be done for close to $3500.00 for a Rebuilt Trans. with Core return and all New Conversion/Adapter Parts.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Agree, the GM 4L80E is a wonderful transmission.
    Yes, it would be very nice in your 1-ton C-cab. Question is, are you going to load it heavy and run it hard? If not, used as a hobby truck a built 700R4 would also suffice and might be CASO friendly.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 11-25-2022, 05:09 PM.
    PackardV8

Comment

Rich,
      Seeing as you are replacing a 5 speed, have you considered the New Venture 4500 HD? I have one in my '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Dually behind an upgraded V10 and it works real well.
      Bill

Comment

Yes Bill you are correct, THAT IS a Good Strong Option, I have considered those but never got to searching for Parts, Fit Info, Clutch Info etc., etc. to do it, I know at least one Stude. "C" Cab Trucker has done it.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,
          It is actually a real nice shifting trans with decent ratios. (In fact several years ago, whilst towing a 26,000lb EX US Army 10 wheel drive Fire Truck, my headers fried my clutch line and I drove 250 miles home with no clutch thanks in part to this great trans.)
          Bill

Comment

Why would you stop at a 4L80-E? That's pretty old hat and outmoded by this point in the game... Maybe a 6L80... that one's getting pretty stale, so you should be able to pick one of those up on the CASO. Or front a little more for an 8L90 or 10L80?

Myself... I'd rather be clunking my way through the gears on the old New Process 5 speed overdrive. It was a step ahead of most of the others back in the day, hopelessly outmoded by modern standards... isn't that sort of the idea behind driving a Studebaker (or any old truck, for that matter)? I've been issued a 4 or 5 year old Ram 1500 at work. It's a fleet special with V6 and 6 speed automatic, and could probably lay waste to the most burly Stude trucks, and do so in comfort and silence. It's a well engineered appliance that does its job efficiently and without complaint, yet it has no personality. I have no hate for it, yet I have no love. It's nice to put it away at the end of the day and move on to something that doesn't do the job with such sterility. Different strokes, I guess?
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

I've got an NV4500 behind a cummins with 400,000 miles.

Comment

Working...
              X