Rotor wick.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Rotor wick.........

So today I did not general maintenance on the Avanti. I put a bit of lube on the dist cam some oil in the side cup, and when I removed the rotor to put a few drops on the wick, guess what?.............the wick disappeared????????? It was the last year when I removed the rotor to put some drops on the wick. So, could the wick have just disintegrated? Well I put a few drops in anyway. But this really has me scratching my semi bald pate?? I assume I should replace that wick.

The Felt Washer is probably somewhere on the Top of the Engine from when you removed the Rotor !
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

LOL.........Rich I looked and looked and looked...........no felt!

Comment

You don't necessarily need the felt wick if you remember to lube the shaft regularly. I've used a small piece of wadded up paper towel in place of the felt as the paper towel is porous and will retain oil. While the paper towel is probably not as good at holding oil as the felt, it does work well. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          You don't necessarily need the felt wick if you remember to lube the shaft regularly. I've used a small piece of wadded up paper towel in place of the felt as the paper towel is porous and will retain oil. While the paper towel is probably not as good at holding oil as the felt, it does work well. Bud
          When you say shaft, you mean the oiler on the side of the dist? I guess I can cut up a piece of felt that they use on the bottom of lamps to not scratch wood furniture?

Comment

Somewhere between a previous owner, my son, my grandson and myself a new set of points eventually got replaced in a marine engine we jointly own. After the job was completed, the engine started and ran well and was taken to the water with a full level of confidence. After two trips out the engine started to misbehave and was difficult to start, of course the points were not even considered as a possible problem as they were just replaced. We had all sorts of visions and considerations but not the points, we even thot the possibility of a broken gear or chain. With the distributor cap off we cranked the engine, and I noticed no action at the points, no movement at all, although the rotor was turning. A .001 feeler would not go in, this was after about 12 - 14 hours of running after the points were replaced. Looking a little further the oil wick was missing, and the fabric tab was running dry on the cam and wore .020 off the tab in that short time. A new one was ordered, and it was replaced. The previous owner must have physically removed it and we had not noticed it. When we acquired the boat, the ignition parts were in the glove box in a bag. You just can't trust anybody. All of us are very adept at this type of work, but it is a classic case too many cooks can spoil the broth.

Comment

The felt wick might be inside a rotor !

Comment

Hawklover, I'm talking about the oil wick on the top if the distributor cam. In a pinch I've used a piece of wadded up paper towel to replace the missing felt wick which works quite well. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  Hawklover, I'm talking about the oil wick on the top if the distributor cam. In a pinch I've used a piece of wadded up paper towel to replace the missing felt wick which works quite well. Bud
                  Bud, thanks for the information...........as the car is asleep for the winter(I think) I will come spring cut a thick piece of felt from a large piece meant for the bottom of lamps and fit it inside of the dist. cam.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                    Somewhere between a previous owner, my son, my grandson and myself a new set of points eventually got replaced in a marine engine we jointly own. After the job was completed, the engine started and ran well and was taken to the water with a full level of confidence. After two trips out the engine started to misbehave and was difficult to start, of course the points were not even considered as a possible problem as they were just replaced. We had all sorts of visions and considerations but not the points, we even thot the possibility of a broken gear or chain. With the distributor cap off we cranked the engine, and I noticed no action at the points, no movement at all, although the rotor was turning. A .001 feeler would not go in, this was after about 12 - 14 hours of running after the points were replaced. Looking a little further the oil wick was missing, and the fabric tab was running dry on the cam and wore .020 off the tab in that short time. A new one was ordered, and it was replaced. The previous owner must have physically removed it and we had not noticed it. When we acquired the boat, the ignition parts were in the glove box in a bag. You just can't trust anybody. All of us are very adept at this type of work, but it is a classic case too many cooks can spoil the broth.
                    You know speaking of points, the ones in my Avanti have to be in there 35 years!.......checking the running dwell I find I am still within 2 degrees of factory spec!........LOL.........I attribute this to the fact that once per year I put a tiny amount lube on the cam! I am more than "proud" that I still meet factory spec! Btw, the condenser has also been in there 35 years.

Comment

Sam I am sure you have heard this, but I wouldn't replace that Condensor unless it actually Fails, with a Chicom replacement.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rick I have been collecting NOS (1960s) ignition parts for over 25 years.

Comment

Be careful when using a condenser that is labeled as NOS as it can become electrically leaky just sitting on the shelf for several decades which will cause all sorts of problems. I will use an older condenser, but I have a Sprague TO6 capacitor analyzer on my radio work bench that will test the condenser under actual working conditions. Many of the NOS or NORS condensers that I have tested will fail the leakage test or be out of limits for capacity making them not useable. The only new stock condensers that I will use are either NAPA Echlin or Standard Motor Parts Blue Streak as all of the ones that I have tested have been good. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Sam I am sure you have heard this, but I wouldn't replace that Condensor unless it actually Fails, with a Chicom replacement.
                            Back in the '70s I worked for a time in a JC Penney Auto Center (yes...Penney's had auto centers back then). Their tune-up parts (points, condensers, distributor caps and rotors and spark plugs) were made for them by Prestolite. They actually had tune up kits for the Avanti...though rarely did a store stock them as they were slow movers. They also fit Mopar Hemis with dual point distributors. If you see any in a flea market or swap meet they are very good quality.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

How thick does the wick have to be?...........can I just cut some felt material (like on the bottom of lamps) and place it under the rotor? And please tell me, what exactly is an oil doped wick supposed to effectuate? Is not lubing the cam with lube and some drops in the side cup enough??

Comment

Working...
                              X