Stude Avanti rear wheel cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcharlestc View Post
    /Cut/The cylinders on both have never been touched when doing a brake job; and have never given any indication of needing to be touched (remember: I'm very careful in making certain the pistons don't move when I replace the brake shoes. There's even a special tool made for keeping the pistons compressed and immovable when working on the brakes)./Cut/
    I think this is just REVERSE of common knowledge, at least mine.

These "Pistons" move all the time in use so not disturbing them makes no sense.
    What you are missing is, when you replace Shoes or Pads the Pistons WILL move in OVER the Pits that were formally exposed to moisture in the Hydroscopic DOT 3 or 4 Brake Fluid that most use.

So THIS is the most common reason for leaking after a "Brake Job" with no Hydraulic system repairs.
    Did you get Lucky? You bet, but WHY push your Luck?

Also a 2000 Dodge is Not a Studebaker, probably has Disc Brakes a different situation than Most Studes. with 4 wheel Drum Brakes.

You know, you can always CHECK the condition of a Cylinder Bore by disassembling the Cylinder and inspecting, cleaning and Lubing it with Hydraulic Lube or Brake Fluid.
    (OH NO, you will "disturb it" ! Lol!

In Georgia no less, Not a very Dry place to be!

I use DOT 5 Silicone, and my Hydraulics last 20 to 30 years, 1 for 50 years and still going.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jeff had the car out today as the temp were about 55 degrees. No lock up when in reverse???? As it said this seems to be very intermittent.

Comment

IF when doing any brake DRUM work, it is always advisable to replace the hardware with new! Think about how many times those spings and hardware have cycled? Especially when there are 100,000 or worse 200,000 miles on it. What is you and your families safety worth? $50 maybe $100?

Just my opinion, which I'm sure will ruffle some feathers!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
          IF when doing any brake DRUM work, it is always advisable to replace the hardware with new! Think about how many times those spings and hardware have cycled? Especially when there are 100,000 or worse 200,000 miles on it. What is you and your families safety worth? $50 maybe $100?

Just my opinion, which I'm sure will ruffle some feathers!

Jim
          No, no disagreement here!...........In the spring I will have the car on the lift to check the shoes, might as well replace the shoes as it has to be about 40 years since they were replaced! Also have new cylinders.

Comment

Working...
          X