Stude V8 reduction gear starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Stude V8 reduction gear starter

So I have discovered a reduction gear starter that works with my modified 289 V8 standard shift, 162 tooth flywheel. It is composed of an existing motor and solenoid (Denso?), and a 9 tooth gear. They machine the aluminum mount/adapter. At first I had problems with engagement of the starter gear and the flywheel, so they machined a 5/8" spacer that positions the gear into the correct position. The outfit is "Snap Rebuilders" in Salt Lake City. It is expensive, $350. They advertise a starter on their website as being for the "56 Skyhawk", but that is not the right starter, they assemble the correct unit separately. Check to see if they intend to incorporate the spacer into the starter. The fellow I worked with is LaVerl.
    Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
    ______

'51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica

Sorry, I'm not versed in starters. What's the benefit of having a reduction gear? Does it turn the output gear and flywheel faster?
    Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
      Sorry, I'm not versed in starters. What's the benefit of having a reduction gear? Does it turn the output gear and flywheel faster?
      Smaller and lighter, mainly.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks interesting. My buddy adapted an indexable starter (sold by Summit Racing ) to his 1928 Pierce Arrow, dump truck. So much easier than hand cranking it. I'll see if I have a picture of it, to post here.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

Smaller and lighter, mainly.

jack vines
          And more space for headers and access to motor, also modern and more starting power.
          Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
          ______

'51 Muntz Jet
          '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
          '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
          '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
          '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

Working...
          X