Avanti front wheel cyls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    Here is a picture I took after install. You only need one bleeder. Save the extra for posterity. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220303_201043.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1966155
    Can I utilize my existing steel jumper lines with these Sumatomo calipers???

Comment

I bought new stainless, however, original should work just as well.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Use New Studebaker Vendor Crossover Lines or the Old ones if good, they are not Metric and Fit, also the Input Lines.

Just be sure to Center the Caliper "Bridge" on the Rotor with the proper shims and keep them even Front to Rear.

The mistake many people make that have never worked on these, is to remove Both Large Bolts from the Bridge to the Adapter "L" Bracket, at the Same time and let all the Shims fall in a pile. .
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So Rich here is a pseudo stupid question: Why in the world would I have to worry about shims and centering the caliper "Bridge" over the rotor, if I do not remove the Caliper "Bridge"??? All I will potentially do (if exsisting units are not leak free) is remove the four calipers fit new pads and bleed the brake lines????

Comment

Perhaps a definition or two is in order.

"Caliper" refers to the big hunk of iron that is shaped like a "U." (Think of a measuring device used to measure the outside diameter or thickness of something; That is also called a caliper.) We also often use the term caliper to refer to the "loaded" caliper, meaning that big hunk of iron is loaded with the two cylinders & pads.

There are two cylinders bolted to the caliper. Each has a piston in it. But a cylinder is not a caliper.

I believe that all Rich is saying is that if you do remove the caliper do it one bolt at a time and be careful to note the shims between the caliper and the spindle. The two bolts won't necessarily have the same thickness shims. Those shims are used to center the caliper on the rotor. These aren't floating calipers like today's cars, so they must be centered per the shop manual.
            --Dwight
            Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-12-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Dwight I hear you!..........two years ago at my buds shop I had his tech remove the two front rotors to pack the wheel bearings inner and outer, I cautioned that the shims MUST be kept under each bolt, somehow one bolt dropped to the floor, fortunately I was standing next to the lift and saw where those shims fell to, picked them off the floor and put them under that bolt..........thankfully no other issues!

Comment

Final question............can I utilize the standard Studebaker jumper pipes with the Sumatomo cylinders?...............do not know if they will take ones that are metric???

Comment

As has been stated a few times in this thread, the fittings on the Sumitomo are SAE, not metric. Therefore, standard brake lines fit.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                    As has been stated a few times in this thread, the fittings on the Sumitomo are SAE, not metric. Therefore, standard brake lines fit.
                    Thanks Henry, my memory is not what it once was, in fact my entire body is not what it once was!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X